Help? RLR? (Read 5328 times)
andrew6744
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

MN
Help? RLR?
Feb 05th, 2013, 10:05am

Maybe I should have posted this in here instead of general discussion... Freaked out. Help is appreciated...

My heart palps?
Today at 8:53am      Hello. I have had episodes of heart palpitations for at least 20 years now. This last episode has lasted 2 weeks now. Last night was the worst. My heart was fluttering so bad constantly I thought I was going to die. As I write this it is fluttering about every ten beats. I'm scared.

I remember going to the doctor when I was 9 because my heart beat so hard all of the time. The cardiologist did a whole bunch of tests at the time. One of them they injected me with something that made my heart pump EXTREMELY HARD. Everything came back normal. I am 30 now and the last test I had done was an EKG and it came back sinus arrhythmia. This was about 7 years ago. I decided to have no further tests done because I was scared to. This weighed on my mind and I decided to go back to the doc with the intention of getting those tests. To my surprise he told me that I'm fine and not to worry about it... Easier said than done! But it did give me some piece of mind to hear that. I should also mention that the reason I went to the doc was because I was having a bad flutter episode overnight that lasted about 6 hours. I was on the phone with the nurse and she was saying I should probably go to the ER. While on the phone with her I ended up gagging and they went away for some reason. Weird.

Eventually I ended up going to a different clinic. Last April my heart was on my mind again and I brought it up to my GP and he said I'm young and not to worry about it. Ugh.

I should also tell u that I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks all the time. I am a smoker. This episode seems to be lasting forever and I am scared but I really don't want to have to visit the ER. I'm affrraid if I go to my GP that they will just send me to the ER. Please help
Back to top              IP Logged
andrew6744
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

MN
Reply #1 - Today at 9:05am      I should also add that while I have anxiety every day, I sometimes can't decipher whether I have panic attacks from the palps or the palps give me the panic attacks. I don't get the palps every time I have a panic attack. If this was something very serious would I have other symptoms like chest pains, severe dizziness, major shortness of breath etc?? This episode did seem to come out of nowhere. It is wearing me down. Thank you for reading.
Back to top              IP Logged
andrew6744
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

MN
Reply #2 - Today at 9:11am      Sorry for all the posts but I also wanted to mention that I also take atenolol 25 mg twice per day and Xanax. I also take Prevacid every morning because I have had heartburn/acid reflux since I was about 18. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged
andrew6744
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

MN
Re: Help? RLR?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2013, 3:39pm

I have an appointment scheduled with the doc on Friday. That was the earliest I could get in. I feel sick from these palps. It's crazy to me that something that feels so life threatening can be harmless. It's like a big fish is flopping around in my chest. It is going to be hard to wait this out another 2 full days. So worn out

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2013, 4:00pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

The fundamental difficulty being experienced here is due to the fact that you are afraid that something catastrophic is going to happen to you as a result of the palpitation events and this is entirely inaccurate. Realize that these events are not associated with any type of cardiac arrhythmia and furthermore, don't actually originate from within the heart at all but rather by stimulation of the vagus nerve. It's sort of the equivalent of a muscle twitch that you might experience elsewhere in the body with the exception that in this instance, the muscle happens to be the heart.

Vagus nerve-induced palpitations of this type are entirely incapable of causing you to suffer any type of cardiac event or transform your heart's rhythm into a dangerous arrhythmia. It's not medically possible because of the origin of the events themselves. In other words, you're in no actual danger whatsoever and you're going to live a long and normal life.

Realize that panic disorder, which by the way does not induce the palpitation events to occur, is a combination of neurochemistry and emotional state of mind. The brain reacts to sensory feedback and during heightened emotional stress, the body's sensory network can go awry and overwhelm the corresponding brain centers. The result is awareness to rapidly escalating sensations that collectively produce the belief of imminent doom or harm from an unknown source.

The affected individual begins expressing physiological changes in response to the sudden fear manifested and together with a mild imbalance in blood-gas levels and neurochemistry, the person experiences a threshold event, or panic attack. This event sort of reboots your system and within a few minutes most patients feel better, although reports of feeling washed out can persist for hours in some individuals.

It's important for you to understand that when you develop the perception that your life is imminently in danger, the brain also reacts in a very specific manner as a matter of survival instinct. Regardless of whether the perceived threat is real or merely imagined, the brain nevertheless responds accordingly and institutes changes in physiology necessary to best overcome the imminent threat or alternatively escape from it. It's known as a fight-or-flight response and it's clinical features are most often misinterpreted by those affected as symptoms of a serious disorder or disease.

The take-away message in my response to you is that fear is instrumenting the symptoms you are experiencing and once you can accept that you are actually in no danger, your nervous system will begin to down-regulate to a normal state more recognizable to you.

Overcoming panic disorder can be a challenge due to the impact it has on the individual relative to self-confidence and engagement in one's social life. Many persons resort to social withdrawal in order to avoid potential embarrassment of the unpredictable nature associated with panic attacks, as well as avoiding circumstances of helplessness. The need to remain within the safety of the home or nearby to emergency services is also of import in the minds of those suffering from panic disorder.

The key in making your way back to normalcy is to overcome the tendency in responding to irrational beliefs which have no basis in fact and to work toward defining the basis for the panic disorder. Many people experience difficulty with this particular task because the original event which provoked the panic disorder to manifest may be entirely unrecognizable or trivial and yet by virtue of the associated irrational fear, it's impact can be quite remarkable and persistent until resolved.

You're going to be just fine. Nothing dreadful is going to occur and you're going to live a very long and normal life. Spend some time visiting the forum and speaking with others, many of whom share your same difficulties.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
andrew6744
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

MN
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2013, 5:02pm

Thank you for your reply, RLR. I do appreciate it. It definitely helps me with peace of mind.

I hadn't even heard if the vagus nerve until these last couple weeks. It all makes sense to me. It is actually a little mind blowing.

I am a worrier. I always have been. I have just kept telling myself that if these awful flutters were something serious then why haven't I just collapsed after having them all these years.

Can you or anyone enlighten me on the term sinus arrhythmia? I assume it can be a wide range of things...?

Thanks again RLR,

Andy

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2013, 5:23pm

Sinus arrhythmia is any departure from normal sinus rhythm. It is a clinical generalization and not a diagnosis.

Nothing to worry about here at all. Take a breath and relax. You have a long road ahead. Be joyous that you are not actually ill, for I see patients who are truly unfortunate. Yours is a case of misperception.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print