Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR could i have a 2nd opinion please (Read 6376 times)
topic

Heart Palpitations
Forum

RLR could i have a 2nd opinion please
Feb 8th, 2013, 1:40pm

RLR forgive me this long letter but i feel i am getting nowhere with my own Doctor...if you feel she is right i will let the matter go

at the tail end of last year, from out of the blue, i had periods of PVCs that would last for hours at a time .i could not cope with them and had a breakdown with the worry.i have a few posts here detailing events.

anyway at the time i had all the tests; blood, xray,24 hour monitor,mobile ecg,and a resting echo.some PVCs were captured but all tests came back"normal"

one day they stopped and i had 3 months with no PVcs or TBH a daily amount of about 6/12 which i could cope with....but they came back yesterday after my weight training at home...2 or 3 a minute for hours at a time and already i am not coping and expecting to head straight for breakdown number two. (i should ad that i am awaiting referral to a psychologist who i am hopping will be able to enable me to give myself a "good talking to" and help me deal wih them..but in the meantime....

i asked the doctor today if she would send me for a stress treadmill test or a stress echo as a final test to set my mind at ease ( the latest bout of PVCs started as i finished my streneous work out)i have never had a stress test

i am 58,my dad died of his 2nd heart attack at 57 and my mum died of complications from TB at 58,she also had angina.i have no symptoms whatsoever other than these horrible PVCs.a measly 2/3 PVCs per minute is nothing to write home about but this is how the last lot started and finished up peaking at up to 12 per min.i simply cannot cope wth them,i know i am being illogical but they scare and depress me something awful

the Lady doctor would not send me for the stress test saying these tests were for people who had breathing difficulties and or angina and did not apply to me.my point in this rather long post is surely CAD can be responsible for palpitaions/PVCs and CAD diagnosis is  the domain of the echo or treadmill stress test

the structure of my heart is fine, the hospital says, but can CAD be reponsible for PVcs with no other symptoms and if so which of the stress tests would be best suited for me?

thanks Doc

ps i am aware Doc that you have to tread carefully on a form like this and hand out reassuring replies to those that merit one.

why oh why can't one of my Dotors say those things to me,something along these lines..."there is nothing wrong with your heart at all John.it can be an age related phenomena with hardly any diagnostic value at all"
no one Doc,and i man NO ONE,has taking the time out to reassure me that there is nothing to worry about and they MUST be able to see the fear in my face

« Last Edit: Feb 09th, 2013, 12:25pm by topic »  
  IP Logged
topic

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: RLR could i have a 2nd opinion please
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2013, 12:55pm

bump for the good Doctor

IP Logged
topic

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2013, 11:54am

bump for advice

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2013, 3:58pm

"my point in this rather long post is surely CAD can be responsible for palpitaions/PVCs and CAD diagnosis is  the domain of the echo or treadmill stress test."

The above statement is an error in thinking on your part. You're basing your need for the stress test on your perception of what constitutes the presence of coronary artery disease and feel frustrated that your doctor is potentially placing your life at risk by refusing to order the test.

I see nothing of your symptoms to suggest that you have coronary artery disease and family history is not direct concordance for presence of the disease but merely one of many risk factors.

In the interest of reducing your irrational fears which seem to be guiding your concerns at the moment, I'll close with the following statement:

there is nothing wrong with your heart at all John.it can be an age related phenomena with hardly any diagnostic value at all

You're going to be fine, John. Take a breath and relax. If your doctor felt that you were demonstrating relevant symptoms, the tests would have been ordered. It's important not to try and out-diagnose your own doctor, particularly if you're not a physician.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
topic

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2013, 3:44am

thank you Doc

IP Logged
Pages: 1