Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confusing med terms from cardiologist - RLR HELP! (Read 5022 times)
pinktel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Confusing med terms from cardiologist - RLR HELP!
Feb 15th, 2013, 5:18am

I have recently received the results of a 48 hour monitor to try to catch some episodes of fast heart rate and extra beats.

In the report from the cardiologist it mentions 59 VE's over the 48 hours. However there was one "ventricular triplet" which caused a skipped beat sensation but as an isolated finding no concern has been expressed by the cardiologist in the letter to my GP (which I was sent a copy of).

It also mentions I have MVP which he remarks may make me more prone to ventricular extrasystoles?

What is a ventricular triplet? Is it 3 ventricular extrasystoles in a row? I don't even really know what a ventricular extrasystole is anyway!!!  Grin

I am hoping there is nothing of concern here because I have just had to stop myself asking Dr Google because suddenly the language became very medical stating 3 ventricular extrasystoles in a row was infact ventricular tachycardia which can lead to ventricular fibrillation (of which i have no knowledge  Embarrassed) and Sudden Death kept popping up alongside ventricular triplets, and that doesn't sound very nice!   :'(

Any light that can be shed on this would be so very much appreciated as I do feel a bit worried now.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013, 6:44am by pinktel »  
  IP Logged
pinktel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Confusing med terms from cardiologist - RLR HELP!
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2013, 11:11am

and now I have read many scary things online about ventricular triplets actually being ventricular tachycardia and I am beginning to feel very scared...

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 4:46pm

Okay, this is a good example of how irrational beliefs based upon limited knowledge of the circumstances can produce constant unrest as though danger is actually imminent. Simply because you believe something to be the case, doesn't actually make it possible for such a premise to materialize.

You are reading medical information and in the absence of the requisite background, establishing beliefs to suggest your safety is somehow in jeopardy. It is the practice of believing anything to be possible rather than the logistics of what is truly probable.

There is absolutely nothing of the reported results which would cause me to react with anything much more than a long yawn. The presence of mild MVP is to a large extent a normal variant and only when the degree of prolapse is sufficient to cause clinical symptoms does the matter rise to the level of concern. The statement that MVP may make you more prone to VE does not suggest it to be the underlying cause at all and very frankly, I would share with you here that it would not be causative in my opinion.

If I had a nickel for every time someone made isolated reference to a triplet ventricular extrasystole constituting the clinical definition of ventricular fibrillation, I'd be wealthier than software guru Bill Gates.

You have to realize the tremendous influence being imposed upon your perspective with regard to matters such as this and it's very common among persons with health anxiety. If all the exposure you have to certain medical phenomenon is reading about it, then the description alone makes it highly relevant to your symptoms, almost identical in fact. People make the unimaginable leap to conclusions and without pause, proximate imminent danger as though literal threat to their very survival is actually present.

The inability to recognize this fact plays a major role in the cyclic nature of health anxiety and its ability to impart control over one's decisions and even lifestyle in many cases.

You are in no danger whatsoever and simply because a present pattern can be technically classified, doesn't mean that its actually the case or that its associated with the normally encountered underlying pathology.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
pinktel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2013, 1:05am

Thank you RLR you have allayed my fears.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print