Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A rude heart awakening (Read 3460 times)
Brittany
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

A rude heart awakening
Feb 26th, 2013, 3:56am

So I had a strange issue this morning.

Around 4:30am I was dreaming of random, small things. In the dream I saw a rat that was drowning, and I slowly saw the bubbles stop above it's head. I then suddenly felt very quickly as if I were drowning. And quickly awoke with a pain in my chest. It was a pain that thumped with my heart quite significantly, with a slow but regular and hard heart rate. It was distressing enough to bother me, but slowly, as I woke, the pain became less significant over around 20-30 seconds, the heart sped up a little, then slowed down and settled in intensity of beats.

So I went to the bathroom, calmed down, and tried to get back to sleep, but the event distressed me enough not to.

Later in the morning, I also had a single palpitation, (I will normally have many palpitations throughout the day, but this was isolated, with none before or after in the span of 3 hours both ways). It was such a strong palpitation that I couldn't breathe properly for a short moment after. The moment it hit me, I leapt out of my chair and struggled as my heart rate increased rapidly. I then got better, as I walked around the room to calm myself down.

I have had a similar event to this single palpitation before, a couple of weeks ago. However the event with my heart I had in the early morning was rare. I used to have it more regularly 2 years ago, when my anxiety wasn't focused around my heart. I had no fear about my heart, I simply assumed it was normal that if one awakes from a very sudden shock in sleep, that the heart will beat regularly, hard, slowly and cause a throbbing pain with every beat, although now my focus has shifted, and so it is troublesome to me and I'm concerned.

I've had many ECGs in the past, where the palpitations prove to have always been PVCs related to stress and anxiety. I have also had blood test and thyroid checks in hospital during some unnerving events.

May I ask some advice here? My family seems a little concerned over the heart pain waking me.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: A rude heart awakening
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2013, 5:09am

I am no doctor, but I've learned from reading in this forum that the right procedure is:
1: Get your heart checked by doctors. And it seems you have been doing that. But since you felt pain this time, do it again to be sure.

2: Find some information or understanding of the palps, so that you can live with them. Or maybe make them fewer or even make them disappear.

From what I have read in here, mostly in Dr. Rane's good explanations, very strong heartbeats are often caused by the body's immediate need for blood and oxygen, in this case by your brain an nervous system, due to your extremely frightening dream.
The heart can increase the pulse, the blood pressure can rise, and then the heart can increase the amount of blood pumped around by beating harder. That can be felt like thumps. This sounds logical, since your pulse shorly after went up - and then back again as you realized (I'm guessing ...) it was only a dream.

Just my 10 cents ... Best of luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print