Send Topic Print
scared and worried (Read 5948 times)
worrywart
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

scared and worried
Mar 9th, 2013, 5:18pm

Hello I am new here so i hope i am doing this right.I am a 38 yr old male AND HAD ALOT OF STRESS IN MY LIFE THE PAST YEAR. wENT THROUGH A DIVORCE AFTER 16 YEARS AND MY DAD PASSED AWAY JUST TO BEGIN WITH. So around 5 months ago i started getting palpitations on a regular basis,which i haven't had in a long time (meaning i had one around 6-7 years ago and went  to the E.R. and they did a stress test and it was fine), so I went to the E.R. one night and they didn't do much but wanted me to see the cardiac Dr. and we did a 48 hr. halter monitor. and they called back saying they wanted to do an echo-cardiogram and a stress test. They said I had ventricular tachycardia so that worried me, but they said if it was serious they would have me in now.Well i have anxiety, more like health anxiety i feel like i am going to die and that doesn't help.It seems like i have an episode or two a day now and get freaked out but i try and breath and not worry about it.I just started a new job after being unemployed for three months and my left leg and arm ache and I get dizzy spells. Seems like i get them more with exertion. So i get scared.

My history and medication:
                high triglycerides--- fenofibrate 160 mg
                low hdl
                anxiety--------clonazepam 0.5
                palpitations----lorazepam 0.5 as needed
                sleep apnea--- cpap
                high blood pressure (so they say) 136 over 90ish----  
                                                                  lisinopril 10 mg

I have no insurance and dont know what to do any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013, 8:24pm by worrywart »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: scared and worried
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013, 6:01pm

Okay, I've read your posting and concerns. Your medication regimen seems unremarkable and although you feel compelled to believe something serious is wrong with your heart, it's actually not the case.

Palpitation events of the type you are experiencing are quite common during periods of significant stress and/or anxiety. They are more akin, however, to a muscle twitch and do not constitute any type of cardiac arrhythmia per se. The cause for the palpitations actually arises from outside the heart rather than from within and they are incapable of causing you to suffer any type of cardiac event or place your life at risk.

Anxiety of significant levels can produce physical symptoms, termed somatic features. When the nervous system is under constant strain, it tends to impose mild irregularities in function that result in odd sensations, change to patterns previously defining normality and generally produce a sensorium of illness despite the fact that no true underlying illness or disease is present.

Changes to sleep architecture, particular in the form of sleep apnea, can produce changes to blood pressure and increase the likelihood for palpitation events.

Take solace in the fact that you are gainfully employed and use this opportunity to relax just a bit. You're certainly not at risk of dying from your symptoms.

You'll be fine. Take time to exercise moderately, eat a balanced diet and reserve time for adequate rest. Maintain your prescriptions in accordance with your doctor's advice, being careful not to over-state your perceptions of what is actually taking place. In other words, these symptoms are not life-threatening and you're in no actual danger at all from the palpitation events.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
worrywart
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2013, 3:28pm

I sometimes get them after i eat or sit back to relax. why is this?

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2013, 11:14am

Because your nervous system is still stressed.

If you can imagine a big wheel. You have been spinning it for 6 hours. If you stop and "relax" for 30 mins, it will still be spinning. It takes time to wind down. So even though you think you are "relaxed" in that moment, your nervous system is still shaky.

It can takes months for your body to go back to "normal", depending on how long you have been extra tense for.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print