Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PVC's and coughing and scared about flying (Read 10911 times)
alexa
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

PVC's and coughing and scared about flying
Jul 02nd, 2013, 8:06pm

I have had pvc's (I guess that's what it is) for at least 3 years. Lately, not sure if it's related- I also have been feeling like occasionally coughing when I get them-. Anyhow, my main concern is that at the end of August I will be flying to Europe and taking 4 planes for a total of 20 plus hours. I will be alone and I get really anxious about flying--so my fear is that my heart won't be able to cope with all the stress and I will get a heart attack. Are hearts with PVC's weaker? I haven't seen a doctor because they come and go, but lately I get some every day for the past 5 months, yet once I had them all the time. Also, don't have health insurance, so taking advantage to see my doctor in Europe which is free. Yet, I would really feel better seeing a doctor before the flightsSad

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: PVC's and coughing and scared about flying
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:51pm

hi Alexa

English is not my native language..

Without being tested its difficult to answer.
1st of all i´m no doctor. The one we had here sadly isnt among us anymore..
I quess some more info is needed to help you a bit more.
How old are you? Are there any known heart diseases in your family started before 50?
Do you smoke? are you overweight? whats your Blood pressure ?

What you are describing doesnt sound to serious to me, but without more info and certainly without tests its difficult to say.
Within normal healthy hearts pvc's arent a serious threat. There are some studies which states that there is a slight increase in danger. But that is statistically not really scary. Lets say you normally had 1% of a heart problem , now maybe 2 %..
But even these studies arent really valide. cause these were often elderly people..
coughing is known within pvc's / skipped beats.. something to do with the vagus.

To answer your question for now. I quess you'll be ok, but that your flight could be an unpleasant one merely due to the anxiety upfront.

sorry i cant be of more help

IP Logged
alexa
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2013, 12:37pm

Thanks for replying! I am 37, have always had low blood pressure, I am definitively not obese weighing around 108 pounds, don't smoke and no family history of anybody dying from heart problems. My mom though also had palpitations when she was young and still gets them every now and then. I am on the birth control pill and am thinking to stop it and see if they may be related. I will look into the studies, good to hear that the statistics are encouraging and that PVC's don't raise much the risk !

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2013, 3:39am

Hi Alexa,

Assuming you have had all the tests I cant see why there would be any risk to flying. Your cough may make sense if i quote RLR in the first part of his 1-6 writings on palps: I do hope it helps.

"Let's start here by talking about a very special part of the human anatomy called the Vagus nerve. The vagus nerve, also referred to as the 10th cranial nerve, is appropriately termed a "mixed" nerve. It provides a sort of two-way communication of nerve impulses back and forth between the brain and the pharnyx,larynx, esophagus, stomach and associated abdominal viscera(basically, your throat, windpipe, your tummy and guts), the heart, lungs and several more complex but irrelevant body organs or functions. The vagus nerve is the longest and most complex of the cranial nerves in the body.      

The key point here is to make note that this nerve involves the "heart," the "lungs" and basically the whole digestive system of your tummy and intestines. Now let's pair that with some real specific and limited physiology about the heart and its rhythm."      

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print