Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
39yr old male w/ indigestion and bad PALPS (Read 8324 times)
damon
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

39yr old male w/ indigestion and bad PALPS
Dec 15th, 2006, 2:23pm

Just looking for help and advice on my condition.  It appears as though many people have PALPS and they are scary.  Mine have been worse recently, I had a bad Vasel Vagal episode back in June 06, and have been taking Protonix since then, but never feeling quite right.

Last week I had some bad PALPS and quessy feelings, and went back to the doc, they did a check up and the ekg was good, but my blood pressure is higher than normal, I have "never" had high bbp.

I have been stressed and wasn't eating great, both have been changed.  Oh and I was back drinking 1-2 Mountain Dews a day.

Any idea if the high blood pressure, PALPS and conditions are related?  This morning I was really dizzy and my heart was pounding, which makes me worry, then making everything worse.

Seems to get worse, stomach and Palps, when I think about it.  Trying Yoga after the holidays, and getting a juicer today!

Sucks to feel like this at 39yr, married with two small kids.  Any advice or similar people that have found cures or things that help

My doc gave me Toprol to start on Monday, as my blood pressure is 140/88, and normally always been 110/65.  I am not excited about starting BBP medication

Please help....any other ideas??

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: 39yr old male w/ indigestion and bad PALPS
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2006, 7:07am

The need to start an antihypertensive should not be of a major concern, nor does it represent a decline in your health status. Many patients feel that having to use medications represents a factor of the aging process. I'm always constrained to tell them that indeed it does represent such a factor, by its ability to assure that you reach old age in a healthy way.

The good thing about Metoprolol (Toprol) is that it is in the class of drugs known as beta-blockers. You'll actually find that the action of this drug also has a mild to moderate effect upon anxiety. It works very well to stabilize blood pressure and reduces the work load by the heart in general. This does not mean that anything is "wrong" with your heart or vascular system, but rather the use of these medications prevents long-term effects of high blood pressure upon the heart and cardiovascular system.

You can think more of Toprol like taking a vitamin supplement. Over time, the effects prevent problems and protect the body from complications of changes over time.

As for consuming "the dew" as folks put it, caffeinated beverages of any kind place demands on the cardiovascular system and it is not uncommon at all to have patients express symptoms of higher than normal blood pressure, palpitations, dizziness, etc. If you're a caffeine junkie, then my advice is to put it on the shelf for a while. If you need a morning wake-up, do what I do and get busy taking that brisk morning walk. Yeah, you have to get up earlier than normal but within a couple of weeks you'll see a tremendous difference. In the presence of anxiety and stress, caffeine is analogous to putting fuel on the fire.

Lastly, don't make the mistake of becoming obsessive about your blood pressure. As I said before, it's a dynamic process and changes throughout the day depending upon demands. Buy yourself a good quality sphygnamometer (blood pressure checker) and take readings at two points during the day such as mid morning and late evening when you've been sitting calmly for about 20 minutes or so. Keep a log and let your primary care doctor take a look at the readings collected over 6 weeks or so.

Your present BP is far too unremarkable for you to be concerned about a heart attack or stroke, so take a breath and relax. Treatment by your physician in this case is preventative in nature, so be thankful you're a healthy individual and plan to stay that way. You'll be fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print