Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
POSITION OF MY BODY (Read 8590 times)
TOOTS

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
POSITION OF MY BODY
Feb 14th, 2007, 3:39pm

RLR, something I have noticed and mentioned before is timing of my skipped beats, can be a certain time in the morning or later on at night and one thing I have noticed is that  if I lie in a certain position either my right or left side the palpitations seem to lessen - I am pretty convinced they are to do with anxiety initially but also my digestion.  One theory I do have is that for the last thirty years I have worked from home at first of all at a typewriter and now a computer - I don't afford the best posture when doing this and wonder if sitting like this, a little crumpled up, for long periods of time I have maybe affected my body in some sort of way. My palpitations came long before this from my teens but always associated them with my hormones and as I have grown older now do associate them with menopause, the vagus nerve and occupational connection.  I tend to think ' palpitations' from the minute I wake up and almost bring them on myself but do wonder if any of the above might be connected. I think I have almost accepted they are sort of part of my make up if you like  but sometimes still get pretty worried about them and your  re assurance is so helpful - in fact I don't know where I would be without this site.  The most frustrating thing is that the palpitations tend to go when my husband is on holiday off work with me, I am not working and maybe we are just spending time at home or on holiday and I feel re assured he is with me - or I have been know to go months without any bad palpitations - I suppose I just need to get them out of my head but don't know how to .

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: POSITION OF MY BODY
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007, 4:25am

I indeed addressed this in some former postings at the older forum many months back and without doubt, the position of the body can increase or decrease sensations and even the onset of palpitations.

This is merely due to anatomy and the force of gravity. Most patients seem to experience more palpitations when lying on the left side than the right and more patients report that they can feel them as more forceful in this position as well. The heart and the stomach are situtated just a bit more left of midline and if trapped air in the stomach or intestines is present, this can produce mild pressure against the diaphragm.

Sitting at a computer or other task for extended periods can cause musculoskeletal complaints, eye strain, repetitive task injuries, etc. and treatment is largely associated with cessation from the offending cause for a while. If you're suggesting that it may have culminated into the onset of your palpitations somehow, I'd have to claim otherwise. Most benign palpitations being experienced by persons on this forum are the direct consequence of anxiety disorder or changes in hormonal characteristics associated with menopause.

The fact that your palpitations are greatly reduced in frequency when your husband is on holiday is a very key factor in their origin and you should place far more emphasis on why that is the case rather than any worries about the consequences of palpitations themselves. As I've stated many times, the palpitations, while frightening, will never cause your heart to be damaged in any way and will never result in a harmful cardiac event of any type.

"Getting the palpitations out of your head" is the road to success and there are professionals available who are very good at illuminating ways for you to develop alternative thinking strategies and habits.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
TOOTS

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Re: POSITION OF MY BODY
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2007, 3:13pm

Many thanks RLR for your prompt reply which helps put my mind at rest and  re assures me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print