Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stress and Palpitations (Read 6059 times)
Barb P.
Forum Newbies

Stress and Palpitations
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:49am

Lately my heart Palps have been becoming more bothersome. I do believe it is caused by stress. My father had pnemonia and 4 weeks ago, and is having a difficult or slow time recovering from it. Also, My mother is in a lot of pain due to a spinal surgery she had about 6 months ago. This is all taking a toll and Now my Palps are coming back. As I sit and relax on the couch, my heart is flipping and flopping. Usually I do not have them to bad as I sleep. But It is hard to get used to. Due to all the stress now and the added stress due to these palps. Well, need I say more. I am so glad  we have this forum to come to for support. One question I have , sometimes if I lay on my right side, my heart palps will start. They will not stop until I lay on my left, then eventually I can lay on the right side. Why does this happen.  I have been doing a colon cleanse too. Due to constant constipation. It has been very effective, but wonder if it is also causing my palps. I do not have a lot of gas. But I wonder if that can trigger them to flair up too?  I do feel like I'm in a constant state of nervopusness too. It is difficult for me to totally relax.  It seems like there is one worry after another, with other problems in the family flairing up too.  I had several days with no or hardly no palps awhile ago, but now they are back...ugh. I just wish there is a magic pill or way to relax that vagus nerve.
Oh another thing is my tinnitus has been really acting up too. Louder then normal, maybe it is because I grind my teeth, at least thast is what I have been told. I think I'm falling apart.  Sad

IP Logged
saab

Re: Stress and Palpitations
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007, 2:57pm

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time. I had been doing well recently too, but felt dreadful for a large part of today, feeling missed beats and getting really anxious about my heart. I think the position you lie in can affect you - I think RLR talks about this somewhere. I am sure they are stress related - the trouble is they get worse and then you get even more stressed and anxious. Hope you feel better soon.

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007, 5:18am

Sorry to hear that your not feeling great.  Sure sounds like you are under a ton of stress.  I believe too that RLR has address the body position thing affecting how much you may feel the palps.  Sounds like you know that all the stress you have been under has gotten to you and who can blame you for that?  Maybe just try and give yourself more time during each day to try a relax and calm yourself down and focus only on you.  Hope you find some relief soon.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2007, 5:56am

Hi

Hope you feel better soon.   I have constipation and I find that once I've gone properly (Sorry not a great thought for all of you) I find that I feel more anxious and I do get more missed beats and palpitations, so not sure if thats psycological or if it has an effect on the vagus nerve.

Once your stress settles down I'm sure your feel better, try to take some time out.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2007, 2:47pm

Stress indeed will increase the potential for palpitations to occur and lying on one side versus the other has historically been a very common complaint among patients with the syndrome. It's a simple matter of gravity at work upon the internal architecture of the body. A change in position, or constant compression can certainly trigger stimulation of the Vagus Nerve. Nothing to worry about at all.

Hope things improve for your parents.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print