Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR help please, seen neurologist! (Read 3954 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
RLR help please, seen neurologist!
Mar 07th, 2007, 9:29am

Hello only me.  Been to see the neurologist today and he thinks that i've got something i don't know how to spell so please excuse me.  It sound like 'kiara malformation', sounding as 'key-arrhh-a'.  I know how it sounds but not how to spell it and can't find any information about it on the net.  He had my neck x-ray results and my neck is not in the normal shape, i was told that i had a curvature but insted of the normal shape mine sticks out at the bottom and then goes perfectly straight, looks very strange on the x-rays.  Any way, going by my symptoms and feelings that i was having, and also the x-ray, he showed me the bottom of the brain and the start of my spinal cord and he said that my brain goes down too far, does not end when it is supposed to, so he thinks that the bottom of it is getting trapped repeatedly and causing my symptoms.  He also said that there are two points in life when this is more likely to make an appearance, seeing as i have been 'born' with this.  At the end of teenage years and coming up to forty, he said i am the perfect age for this being nearly 37.  There is an operation if really needed but i am now waiting for a brain and neck scan to determine things for sure.  He did all the tests, pulling and pushing and eye sight checks etc, etc, and i have got a weakness in my right arm, which i can definatly feel and my left arm is shaking inside?  My legs are fine he says.  Anyway the MRI scan could take 8 to 12 weeks to get so now i just have to wait.  I am happy that he said he's seen this before and had people with the same symptoms, this means i'm not alone.  I am also pleased that he was a very nice consultant and listened to me and 'believed me', until after he'd done his tests where then the obvious physical symptoms confirmed things.  At least someone has listened and has backed up what i am feeling, i know i'm not mad and these things are actually happening to me.  I am a little nervous of the scans although i mentioned about not wanting the dye injected and he said i did not have to have the dye, unless they find something that needs more investigating.  So there you go and i was wondering if you knew about this condition and could please give me some advice.  Before i left him i asked if there was any exercises that i could do to improve or help things and he said we will have to wait for the brain scan.  I have tried to look up on the internet to see if there is any advice, a support group perhaps, but with not knowing the exact name i cannot get anything up.  Thanks for reading my 'long' post and any advice would be gratefully received.  Angiebaby.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR help please, seen neurologist!
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2007, 1:24pm

Well of course I know about the condition. It's known as Arnold-Chiari Malformation and exists in two types, the first of which is likely what your neurologist is referring to on MRI. It is simply a congenital condition in which the cerebellum protrudes down into the foramun magnum at the upper point of the spinal column where it meets the base of the skull.

You can relax. I've seen literally hundreds of cases like this and most all of them are symptom-free and do not create problems. Type II can exhibit problems, but at your age this is non-related. Where crowding of the cerebellum in type II cases is demonstrated, problems like extreme headaches, neck pain, ataxia and other symptoms can be observed. Again, this is not the case where you're concerned.

I'm going to give this my famous yaaaaaawwwwwn response. Nothing to be concerned about.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Re: RLR help please, seen neurologist!
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2007, 2:07pm

Thankyou for your quick response.  After i sent you the message i actually found it on the net and read all about it.  A little concerned now though that i've got to wait for so long before i get an MRI to actually find anything out.  Still, can't be helped.  After reading up on it i do have a lot of the symptoms and these have been passed off by people as 'anxiety'.  But i knew inside that this wasn't just that.  Thankyou again for your advice and help, much appreciated.   Angiebaby.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print