Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This crazy heart of mine (Read 5303 times)
pattycakes
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

This crazy heart of mine
Feb 01st, 2008, 5:52pm

Hi All,
I'm fairly new here, haven't posted in quite sometime but I always come back when I'm having a few bad days and get comfort just by reading some of your letters.  I've had these crazy palps for many years on and off, had all the the same tests that many of you had done also with always the same result, you're fine.  I did have some blood pressure problems and my dr. put me on 25 mg of Atenolol.  It worked wonders, the first day I had a few palps, very minor, I was a little tired but managed to get through the day just fine.  Well about 6 weeks after I started taking it, I started with a slight cough which turned into a full fledged cold.  I would start to feel better then whether it was all in my mind or whatver, it seemed when I took my pill after lunch when I usually did I would start to feel a little congested again...so I stopped taking them..yes I knew that was bad, but I felt fine, no side effects and after about two weeks the cold went away.  My question is this, has anyone had this kind of side effect?  I was around a house full of people that had bronchitis and I know I probably shouldn't have read the little booklet that says it can induce asthma...I have never had asthma in my life nor do I have any problems now...I really want to go back on the meds because I really felt good...not one palp after the first day...not one, even when I was stressed and when I was on the meds it was like...oh well, whatever...now I'm more stressed on my job and the palps are driving me nuts!!  I do take a half of Xanax and it seems to help...when I was taking the meds I didn't take one Xanax the whole time!!  Can anyone shed some light?  Oh..I'm 54 and postmenopausal.  I feel like a crazy person going back and forth to the dr. all the time!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: This crazy heart of mine
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:02am

Welcome back to the forum. These are very good questions. Atenolol is in the class of drugs known as beta blockers and they work by blocking the action of adrenaline and nor-adrenaline and its effects upon the heart, producing decreased cardiac force. These drugs also mildly reduce sympathetic nervous system activity and therefore, have an anxiolytic effect, which explains why you felt that you didn't have to take the Xanax while on Atenolol.

One of the side-effect features of this class of drugs is potential bronchiospasm, far less with atenolol than with some others, but I say this here only to inform you that while it's virtually unlikely that the drug induced an upper respiratory syndrome, it is possible that it exacerbated the symptoms. The dose range you are taking, however, is extremely small so the connection is weak at best.

You should, however, always mention any adverse effects to your prescribing physician and do not make the elective decision to simply stop taking this type of medication. Again, while the dose is relatively small, it's always advisable for patients to follow directions by their physician concerning changes in medication regimen.

I might also ask whether you are under hormone replacement therapy of any type as a consequence of menopause.

You'll be fine and a visit to your doctor is not always necessary merely to discuss potential side-effects or dosage recommendations, which can alternatively be performed via telephone.

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
pattycakes
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:36am

RLR,
Thank you so much for your response.  I am going to make an appointment with my dr. on Monday, I feel I really need something to keep my anxiety at bay and when you said it may have made  my symtoms seem more extreme then they were, I realize that was probably true because when I read the little booklet and it said can induce asthma, it scared me.  I also wondered if it would take that long to have symtoms, like I said I was on it for about 6 weeks before even started my cold.  I am not taking any type of HRT, I just felt it wasn't right for me.  The only other side effect I had was for the first week I was on it, I would feel a type of scared feeling in my stomach, hard to explain, almost like I was on a ride and you would drop down, but that went away.  By the way, my mom who is 75 has had palpitations for years, along with my sister.  But we all have the anxiety thing going on too.  My best to all of you with these nasty little things.  Keeping focused on things that I enjoy seems to help keep them at bay, when I have too much empty time on my hands this little mind starts wander and keeps me thinking about them also.  Thanks again, this board helps me so much, just knowing we're not alone in this makes a world of difference.  

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:29pm

Okay, be careful not to let the prescription insert confuse you. You must be asthmatic for this drug to induce an asthma threshold event. It doesn't cause you to develop asthma, understand? It can cause bronchiospasm which in asthmatics is what causes them to experience symptoms, but beta blockers do not cause people to develop asthma.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor and I'm sure you'll find everything to work out just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
pattycakes
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:20am

Now I understand much better, I usually don't read the little inserts for that simple reason but somewhere along the line I had a friend who was on beta blockers and she developed a cough, just a dry cough and they changed her meds, well one thing led to another and I had the insert out and well the rest is history.  I'll discuss it with my dr. and see what she advises, I know her pretty well and she'll probably continue with the Atenolol, especially since it worked so well for me.  I'll keep you posted.  Thank you again for putting my mind at ease.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:17am

Hi there
If the medication worked for you - who cares how it works - keep using it. Unfortunately bb's didn't work for me, but go for it, especially if it even means you end up using less of the other medication. That must be a good thing. From what I was told 25mg is such a low dose that it is safe to use.
Good luck
bead

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print