HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart flutters (Read 12980 times)
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Heart flutters
Oct 16th, 2008, 5:42am

Hi all.  I am here from time to time for reassurance.  I have also posted a few times.  

I am trying very hard to accept that the heart skips and pauses I feelt are harmless and I think I've come a long way from where I was a year ago on these.  I tend feel the pause and a hard thud heartbeat.  I may get a few of these spread out over several minutes and while they do bother me, I mostly believe they are harmless.  Again, I know I have to work on this some more.

Last night however I had a different type of symtom that freaked me out a bit.  I know I have read on here that a change in symptoms does not mean anything is wrong and I want to be sure what I experienced is what is meant by a change in symptoms.

I was sitting on the couch, about an hour after eating.  I went to lean on the arm of the couch with my legs up on the couch when my heart started to act up (position change aggrevated the vagus nerve?).  Instead of a pause hard beat like I'm used to, I had many super fast beats for about 4-5 seconds.  It wasn't that my heart started to beat fast, I just had a ton of extra beats all in a row.  It stoppped after 4-5 seconds, but my heart is now the focus of my attention.  This morning I woke up with some anxiety and all I'm thinking about is this occurance.

Is this what others have experienced.

I will aslo add that I ate my dinner fast (a very bad habit I have every since having a baby 3yrs ago and having to eat fast in between the baby needing me), had this epiosde about an hour later, and then about 30 min after that had a horrible stomach ache.  I am not sure if the stomach ache was caused by the anxiety of what happened or if it's all related.

My husband gets these too, where his heart will flutter like that for 5-7 seconds and then go away.  He worries a little, but not as much as I do.  He can put them out of his mind after they happen a lot better than me.  I keep thinking, we both cannot have something wrong with our hearts - what are the odds of that?

Thanks to all that reply.  I really appreciate it.

IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Re: Heart flutters
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2008, 8:31am

Hi zeus34,
I understand what you are going through, I started getting those funny symptoms just over a year ago. Not just the various PVCs I'm used to (well sort of used too, still freak me out a lot!) but those almost flutterring sensations, always happen at rest or with body position changes (not even nesseserily after eating. This is the one "symptom" that freaks me out the most. I have seen a couple of people here mention similar sensations, so weare not alone Smiley
I'm sure RLR will give you a good explanation of this.

I'm not tense, I'm just very very alert
Natalia   IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2008, 8:57am

Thank you for your reply.  I am inclined to believe this was nothing, but it's hard.  

It felt like a rapid succession of extra beats in a row for like 4-5 seconds.  I dont' think I have had that before.  Then it stopped, but my anxiety was definitely up there and I kept monitoring my heart beat for several hours after.  I know, bad!! Embarrassed

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2008, 4:10pm

Well, you can relax. The symptoms you are describing have been attested to by countless patients and it's merely a variation of benign palpitations as a consequence of stimulation of the pneumogastric nerve (the vagus nerve at the level of the GI tract) and typically occurs due to certain body positions combined with air trapped in specific areas of the lumen of the intestines or bowel.

You can sort of think of this like opening a door that has an alert bell attached to it. As long as you hold the door in a certain position, the bell will continue to chime. If you create circumstances such as eating rapidly, which causes aerophagia(swallowing copious amounts of air while eating or drinking) and position yourself such that compression occurs at vital points, it will trigger a vagus nerve response that stimulates the heart. It can, and has been reported numerous times, to invoke a run of palpitations that can last 10 minutes or more before resolving.

Again, an especially dramatic presentation does not constitute anything new or represent some type of pathology. You are predisposed to experiencing palpitations and the only consequence you will ever suffer is the noticable change they induce with respect to your heart rate and rhythm.

Indeed, this type of palpitation is entirely harmless and by virtue of physiology and the manner in which these palpitations occur, it is absolutely impossible for them to cause you to suffer any type of cardiac event or damage your heart in any way. It's not medically possible.

You'll be just fine. If you'll notice within the context of this forum alone, not a single person experiencing the palpitations has suffered any type of actual physical harm and it has not diminished their heart's capacity or longevity whatsoever. That fact must stand as very significant against the subjective beliefs that the palpitations are dangerous. This is a gross misconception.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Rachey

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2008, 11:27pm

can i just say i know excactly which type of palp u have felt here,,, these are the most alarming.....  i can be sat very normal with a nice resting hearbeat when all of a sudden my heart goes wappy with about 7 real fast quick beats and it always makes me jump up and hit my chest and cough......  but.... i have found that i get these when i eat chocolate...since stopping eating choc ( well i may have a square rather than the bar) i aint had these type of palps , still pvc ,ing my way through the day and night though xxxx Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2008, 9:11am

Thank you so much for your reply and explanation RLR.  I really really appreicate it.

IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Question for RLR
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2008, 10:06am

After a pretty much PVC free day, I have experienced another one of those alarming flutters today almost out of the blue.  I was inside a shop with my kids, it was quite warm inside and very windy and rather cold outside. I was just standing there looking at something, quite calm, and suddenly it started....It felt like a lot of PVCs almost in a row, I instinctively started taking deeper breaths and moving my head  and panicking almost, because it would not go away for what seemed like ages but was probably only about 5 seconds. Almost immediately after that i experienced a sharp pain in my stomach. I must say i was almost sure smth was going to happen there... I kept taking deep breaths and they didn't seem to subside, was almost like they were independant of the normal rythm and felt mainlt in the throat.
RLR, could all these things be smth to do with Parasystoles? I have heard about it before but was never diagnosed with it, the description, however, sounds almost like I sometimes experience.... Doesn't sound very nice Sad
This is one of the descriptions i found for it
Parasystoles..A cardiac arrhythmia caused by the interaction of two foci independently initiating cardiac impulses at different rates. Generally one of the foci is the sinoatrial node (the normal pacemaker) and the ectopic focus is usually in the ventricle, but can occur in the sinus and AV nodes, atrium and ventricle, and AV junction. Each focus - and thus each rhythm - is protected from the influence of the other.

I'm not tense, I'm just very very alert
Natalia   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print