Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Palpitation technique that may help someone. (Read 5355 times)
koffice07
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Palpitation technique that may help someone.
Jul 01st, 2009, 3:50am

I am a 47 year old woman and have sever heart palpitations that have been going on for about three years now. It is to the point that I have to sleep on my back most of the time since if I even roll over on my side just a little my heart will loose regular rythm resulting in sever arythmia. Loss of breath, pains and gassy stomach etc... I am not on medications for it nor have I gone to the hospital to have the irregular heartbeats regulated again. I have had to practice the following technique as soon as I feel the symptoms coming on. It is either this or medications and Lord knows what elese. I have found that laying on a flat surface and placing my legs straight at a high verticle angle against the wall so that my feet are elivated above my head my heart comes into regular rythm again. I remain in that position for a few minutes only. I try to completly relax during my rest. I feel my heart bouncing and irregular heart beats when it happens but soon my heart comes into regular rythm again and I am able to tell when it happens. I slowly lower my legs and rest with knees bent and still on my back. Then I get up at a straight forward motion. Not to my side since the arythmia could occur again. I have been blessed by this method to control this problem since I would have been in emergency many times or maybe gone altogether.  I did wear a heart monitor for a few days at home but was anxious when wearing it. I was not able to relax and allow the sypmtoms to surface enough for my doctor to capture the problem. I do not discredit or discourage medical help since you are dealing with heart problems and it is serious but for me I like to try to manage my own symptoms and maybe there is someone that will be helped by this. I have had to do this in my car too. Has been a life saver for me I think.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Palpitation technique that may help someone.
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2009, 7:06am

Hello
Good tip. I was also recommended this when i went to an iyengar yoga therapist. I am lucky to have good friends who teach this. There are several poses which reputedly help and this one you describe is almost the same as one of them.

I think why it works is it gives all your chest and stomach area lots of room to settle - nothing is crunched up and if you can get comfortable and relaxed it will relieve your palpitation symptoms.

In yoga it is called Viparita Karani and it is one of the relaxing positions that I found to help.

bead  Smiley

IP Logged
SueB
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Oregon
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2009, 10:39pm

I find if I lay down without putting my feet up on a wall, that my symptoms disappear within 5 minutes.  I feel blessed that I can just lay down to control them a little at least.  In the car, if I am the passenger I can recline the seat and that helps too.

IP Logged
SueB
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Oregon
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2009, 11:57am

I also did some deep breathing exercises this morning and it made my palps go away and helped me to feel more relaxed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print