Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR: What does my dr. mean? (Read 5283 times)
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR: What does my dr. mean?
Jun 06th, 2010, 11:56pm

Hello.
Thank you for helping me to understand my palps in a whole new less frightening way, but I have a question.
I saw my dr. the other day, and he said my palps were not harmful and that he even got the.
He did say that if I ever got them for 5 minutes straight, that I should call him.
He never mentioned about the vagus nerve being the culprit, and I don't understand why I should contact him if it ever persists for 5 min or more.
Also, can stress or being tired aggravate papls?

Thank you,
Jazzmynn

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR: What does my dr. mean?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2010, 3:40pm

Well, I disagree with the characterization your doctor has posed. You have benign palpitations. End of story. His statement would suggest that they are benign as well unless they last five minutes, then they constitute something else. That sort of viewpoint would make anyone with palpitations stare at their clock with mounting fear as the seconds ticked by and I fail to see why someone would introduce that type of logic into the life of a patient who worries so much about the characterization of their symptoms. This is a graphic example of why people become so fearful. All sorts of questions flood the minds of the worried when presented with qualifiers such as the one posed by your doctor. So is it precisely five minutes or does 4 minutes and 30 seconds qualify as well? If so, would 4 minutes constitute the same concern? What about palpitations that extend for 3 minutes, pause briefly and then continue for another 2 minutes? In other words, where would a patiently logically and accurately draw the line for circumstances being suggested by your doctor? Would you wait the full five minutes or contact him at 2 minutes? It's an absolutely implausible suggestion and again, I find it to smack of the very logic which places the anxious patient ever closer to the edge needlessly and almost taunts them with a suggestion that danger could be within the spectrum of possibilities here. It's not the case whatsoever and I'm beginning to get worked up over it as I sit typing this response.

I will also tell you that physicians are the absolute worst patients in the world and I've spent more of my share of time trying to constantly reassure a physician with symptoms and concerns, who contrastly has no problem whatsoever edging their own patients out on the plank with some morbid sense of gratification. If I weren't the man I am, I would question whether to let them squirm for a time before settling their nerves.

Stress and fatigue can without doubt greatly increase the chances of onset or frequency where benign palpitations are concerned. It is the very origin which stimulates the nervous system and consequently, the vagus nerve.

You are just fine and nothing will happen to you as a consequence of the type of palpitations you are experiencing, whether 5 minutes or 5 years pass.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2010, 5:28pm

Thank you so much, RLR.
If I knew a decent doctor in the Phoenix, Az area who was like you, I would change in a minute!

IP Logged
edwardthebear
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2010, 3:43pm

I think in an ideal world Jazzmyn we would all like a Doctor like RLR !

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2010, 4:31pm

Well, those are very kind words but I regrettably must defend my colleagues by virtue of the rather dramatic influence that the nature of professional medical practice can impose. As you well know, I'm nearly 90 years old and in my prime, the practice of medicine was far and away different than what patients commonly experience in the contemporary healthcare arena.

It was a time where the patient's well-being was of paramount importance and physicians weren't as driven to meet their quota in order to survive the absolute outrageous requirments associated with liability insurance and gradual assimilation of physicians and other practitioners into a healthcare system under the direction of corporations that is being witnessed today.

I was also very, very fortunate to have mentors who consistenly demonstrated the absolute highest regard for the art of medicine and its unbiased application to treatment of human disease and illness. Patients in those days were not viewed as incapable of understanding the nature of their difficulties, despite the inherent complexity of medical science. Simply because someone is ill, does not relegate them to the corridors of ignorance. This is a perception that many young physicians today fall prey to and one that I aggressively despise.

It was also an era about the unswerving patience to encourage greater awareness and understanding as a direct means to reduce fear of the unknown, a factor which typically served in the establishment of irrational beliefs. If a patient is not properly educated regarding their medical concerns, then it produces a dependency upon the doctor and the healthcare system, for if a person fails to properly understand the nature and course of a medical dillema, then they can not anticipate its truest and most probable course or be able to determine precisely where they stand in relation to risk.

I often regret that I am past my prime in many regards and my participation in forums and annual visits to the Childrens Hospital help restore my purposefulness at such a late age. Many of you may not be aware, but it was my late wife who first introduced me to this forum several years ago. She was always an active volunteer and spent the better part of her time working to ease the strain others may be experiencing. Any measure of my capacity to care was absolutely pale by comparison to her own.

Today's physician is embroiled in a network of care that has gradually replaced their ability to spend in-service time necessary to provide reassurance by virtue of the need to see enough patients to keep the doors open. Reimbursement has been reduced to fees for service that are being shopped daily in order to achieve the highest profit margin with the lowest expenditures. This is what corporations do and it's what makes the art of medicine, in their eyes, nothing more than a cast of sophisticated mechanics who turn a fancier wrench.

Your ability to spend time with your doctor is gradually giving way to attendance by assistants and master's level practioners, all of whom exist in a lesser reimbursement scheme. It is, for all intents and purposes, practice of medicine by proxy. It is the full-on demonstration of medical practice by corporate board members whose hands are on the lever of what type and how much medical care they believe is necessary.

It is a sad transformation indeed. I would never trade my memories of a very satisfying career in medicine, for it serves as a reminder of just how far distant the physician has unwittingly come to stand from their patients.

Again, I appreciate the kind words. At the very least, we exist on this forum to mutually benefit from an exchange between us. If it brings but a brief moment of satisfaction, then it is well-served.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print