Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR...Blood Test Results (Read 3668 times)
bike21
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR...Blood Test Results
Feb 01st, 2011, 6:14pm

Hi RLR,

I recently received my blood test results from a wellness screening at my work.  Everything was normal except for my Total Iron.  It was high (187 mcg/dl) and was supposed to be between 40-155 mcg/dl.  When I looked up high iron on the internet, it said one of the symptoms could be palpitations.  Do you think high iron could trigger the palpitations?  If so, is this iron level a dangerous level?  Just curious to hear your thoughts.  Thank you...

bike

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR...Blood Test Results
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2011, 7:05pm

The origin of the type of palpitations you are experiencing is not from iron overload. The most common cause for excessive iron in otherwise healthy persons is due to over-consumption of vitamins fortified with iron. In order to determine the cause, other tests should have been undertaken, such as TIBC Transferrin, UIBC, Transferrin saturation and Ferritin.

If these tests have been performed, please cite the values and I will be able to offer you a more in-depth response.

If you've been taking a significant amount of vitamins and minerals high in iron, then my suggestion is to restrict any further consumption of iron and have the test repeated in about 6 weeks.

Again, iron overload within the values mentioned would not be the source of your palpitation events, which incidentally occurs most often in cases of hemolytic or sideroblastic anemia.

Best Regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
bike21
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RLR...Blood Test Results
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2011, 7:38pm

Thank you, RLR.  I do take a multivitamin, but I checked and it is an Iron Free Formula.  I do take fish oil (about 1500 mg)...could this increase the iron?  The wellness screening did not include those other blood tests, but I will ask my doctor about ordering them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print