Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new member - palps for about 10 months now (Read 5663 times)
samiam
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

new member - palps for about 10 months now
Feb 13th, 2012, 3:16pm

I've read some the postings & the HP101 postings by RLR...very interesting.  I've had palpitations now for about 10 months now on a daily basis about.  For the most part, they are now just an annoyance now but are more of a pain when I'm dealing with 'normal' life stress (or even playing online chess/eating chocolate can start them).  They were worse early on but I've done a few things to decrease the severity, namely cutting out caffeine entirely, exercising a couple times a week (about 30min/each time) with a little cardio, gettings about 7-hrs sleep per night, and decreased my alcohol consumption.  Yes perhaps my Vagus nerve gets easily irritated now but I would like to go back to normal somehow.  

A little history on me as I believe a traumatic experience is what triggered my palpitations...I'm in my mid 30s, male, slender-build, no diseases or major medical issues, perhaps except for asthma which rarely acts up.  A couple summers ago I had a scary heat-exhaustion issue in which i was mowing a lawn in +100 degree heat quickly (as I was busy that day) just before I had a big iced caffeine drink.  Not fun, initially I was light-headed, heavy palpitations, a high resting heartbeat (100-110), higher than normal bp (140/80s and my norm is 120s/70s, no appetite for 1-2 days, and weak (I lost a little weight also).  Eventually after about 4-5 days I felt normal again (with respect to puls, bp, and appetite)...just learned that caffeine and heat doen't mix.  I didn't see any doctor at this point.

After about a month, I was mowing a lawn in 90 degree weather and decided to get a big iced-caffine drink afterwards when running some errands and I felt some of the same symptoms as before, although not as severe as the first time.  

Needless to say, I stayed away from caffeine from then until the following early spring...everything was good so I started it up again (I would only consume about 3-iced caffeine beverages per week anyhow).  Then in late spring of last year, I was running some errands and grabbed an iced caffeine drink, went to the park with my little one at noon (it was about in the 80s), had a small glass of wine for lunch afterwards (which was unusual by was offered since at my inlaws place), then went to the gym (which was my first time in 6 months).  I left the gym earlier since I felt the same symptoms as before with the same (if not worse) severity as the first time.  Needless to say that I've stopped drinking caffeine from this point on and no more mid-day glasses of wine.

I saw my doctor that week, and over the course of a weeks we did some blood tests, urine test, ekg, but everything looked fine (no anemia, no diabetes, no valley fever, etc.).  I saw a cardiologist a month later since I still had palpitations that were bothering me, after doing a echo and wearing a heart monitor for about 2 days, my heart checked out to be excellent.  

My doctor back then mentioned that it could be anxiety and stress related.  Perhaps, considering that I have two little kids (now 3yr old & 14-month old) and I wasn't getting a lot of sleep.  But generally speaking, I've never had issues with anxiety before and I've dealt with stress just fine in the past.

I haven't seen any doctor about this since after my cardiologist appt last summer, nor have I seen a psychologist/psychologost about this, I'm not taking any medications or supplements of any kind, nor do I want to.  After seeing the cardiologist, that's when I started working out and generally feeling better.

My main question is if or how I can go back to normal (palpitation-free life).  How can I reset my vagus nerve so It's not sensitive anymore.  Perhaps just time?  I know the acholol stimulates it and I can't have more than 1-2 drinks during a party/event.  I had 3-4 drinks at a xmas party recently and this brought on strong palpitations.

Any feedback is much welcomed.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: new member - palps for about 10 months now
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2012, 4:19pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. Firstly, let me just say that there is no way to "reset" the vagus nerve. Realize that the vagus nerve does not act independent of the nervous system. There are two fundamental causal factors for vagus nerve-induced palpitations, the first being due to the influence of stress and/or anxiety upon the central nervous system and secondly, GI inflammation of one variety or another.

When reassurance, ie your cardiologist, produces a positive change in symptoms described as generally doing better, then it always warrants looking at a functional causes such as stress, anxiety and even fear concerning the nature of the palpitation events. The difficulty for most persons experiencing vagus nerve-induced palpitation events is that the fear which produces conditions necessary for the palpitations to arise is the same fear subsequently produced by the presence of the palpitations themselves. In other words, the palpitations won't dissipate because the individual misinterprets them to be a symptom of a heart problem of some kind or that the palpitations are capable of doing them harm.

The true nature of palpitations of the type you and others here are suffering have absolutely nothing to do with your heart's health and actually originate from outside the heart. It's more the equivalent of a muscle twitch that you might experience elsewhere in the body with the exception that the heart muscle is the target of the twitch sensation. It is entirely impossible for these disturbances to interfere with or alter the heart's rhythm or cause any type of dangerous arrhythmia.

People who search out similar features on the internet most often come across pathological instances of palpitations that arise from within the heart and result from underlying problems that are challenging the heart's ability to function correctly. This is an entirely different scenario than the one you are experiencing.

GI disturbances can produce vagus nerve-induced palpitation events because the GI tract is innervated by the vagus nerve, termed the pneumogastric nerve at that level. Excess gas or air trapped in the lumen of the intestines, motility disturbances, water re-uptake imbalances within the colon and a host of other benign and limited irregularities such as these are all capable of inducing wayward evoked potentials, or nerve impulses, which travel upward along the vagus nerve and cause the organs or regions at the nerve's terminal endings to respond to the electrical disturbance. So in other words, if by dietary choices, you cause indigestion or other imbalance to occur it can, and many times will, result in palpitation events.

The ability to diminish the frequency of the palpitation events is directly related to correcting the underlying cause for the apprehension, anxiety or stress which is being generated for some reason. Sometimes the origin of the stress or anxiety is not well understood and in other cases, it arises from avoidance behaviors designed to suppress that which produces the worry and apprehension. Working to alter these patterns will result in a corresponding reduction in the palpitation events.

You're going to be just fine. You need to work toward a broader understanding of the actual nature of these specific palpitation events and realize that regardless of their intensity, characterization and frequency, they are forever incapable of placing you at any type of risk whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print