Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To those who have recovered or close to recovering (Read 17083 times)
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

To those who have recovered or close to recovering
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:10am

I was wondering if any of you, if you still even come back to this website, could tell me what was it that helped you start your recovery?  I have been working tirelessly for a long time now and yes I have some good days but overall I feel like I am no further down the road than I have ever been.

IP Logged
Dodger

No matter where you
go, there you are

Virginia
Re: To those who have recovered or close to recovering
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2012, 12:22pm

You should feel better about yourself, could even think before that you would have good days. From reading your posts I think that you have come along way down the road.

This is the way that I feel to. I still  have pain and palpitations.  As a matter of fact I am having chest pains now. Now I just take a deep breath and try to go about my day. I have just gotten so tired of being afraid. After all of these years nobody has found anything wrong with me besides a hiatal hernia and GERD with acid reflux. I have taken to heart (no pun intended) that heart issues take years to develop and that with regular check ups I will be well aware of my health concerns.

I am starting to exercise, I have gotten a job, got married and am moving on. I still check in to see how everybody is doing and to calm my mind on these "bad days" to help find peace. I hope you can find the same .

IP Logged
jess33

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2012, 12:48pm

I found that you have to be 110% unafraid of these things and COMPLETELY ignore them. Thats what I did over two years ago and they vanished totally, including my anxiety. It was then that I realised my palps and anxiety went hand in hand. Unfortunately, something happened to bring my anxiety back and then so came the palps. During the time they vanished though, I never came on this forum as this just reminded me of a bad time in my life which I was then done with.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2012, 6:37pm

Several people have said a good diet and lots of exercise...reducing stress etc.

I am still, like you, working on it

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2012, 5:57am

I still get mine ... palps, uneasy feeling of pulse round the diaphragm etc. But only rarely the "big night-spells" I have been experiencing earlier.

I'm quite sure that the "big night-spells" for me are closely connected to eating too much and drinking too much wine and beer too late and too close to bedtime. So I try to cut those factors. For the moment I've put myselv on total alcohol-stop, at least for some weeks Smiley - that doesn't keep all palp-feelings away, but all in all I sleep a lot better and seldom get palpitations that "ruin" my day (or night).

Then I also really try hard to say to myself - when they do arrive - that they are benign, that they have hit me many times before without anything more happening and so on.

So I guess the summary for me is: Work both at a physical and mental level, and palpitations will diminish - and hopefully disappear one day.
And if they don't: I've got to welcome them as a part of me which I can live with.

Good luck to everybody!

IP Logged
samiam
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2012, 11:22am

I have mostly recovered (36yr old male)...you can look up my previous posts from last summer in which I saw a cardiologist, wore a 48-hr Holter monitor and had an Echo.  During that time period, I was reading and posted to this forum.  The cardio told me that my heart was completely normal.  Shortly thereafter, I began to realize that perhaps I just had anxiety-induced palps during this time period (although no history of anxiety or palps).  I did the following:  

1)  avoid caffeine drinks...although I do consume decaffeinated drinks now and still eat chocolate so I get a little bit.  
2)  Started doing cardio workouts....just 20-30 min per week, not a lot.  I would also do muscle training exercises at the gym about 1 to 4 times per month and I used to sit and relax in the hot tub each time I went (since I'm much better now I stopped doing the hot tub just cuz of the extra time it takes).  
3)  I sleep a little better, perhaps avg 6.5 - 7 hrs per night now (I have 2 little kids so sleep is a luxury).  Perhaps 1 nap on a weekend also.
4)  I don't push myself to get stuff done fast, especially running errands and yard work during the hot arizona summer months.  I also plan a little better.

I never did take any anxiety medication, I never even visited my primarity doctor after my last cardio appt. My palps gradually decreased both in severity and duration once I started doing these things.  I hardly get palps now but during a stressful situation (just last week), I'll feel them again...but they usually subside minutes after the stressful situation is over and I'll feel normal in about 1 hr or so.

Hope this helps and good luck to all.

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2012, 9:22am

Samiam, Thanks for responding.  Things are going actually much better than when I posted this original post.

I attribute my progress to some of the things you reference in your post!  You really do have to give up the fight with your bodily symptoms.....they are not harmful and are just a response to your thoughts and behaviors!

It would be similar to you getting upset every time you hit your thumb with a hammer because it hurts!  We need to stop fearing our symptoms and that is the key to getting our lives back!!!

Thanks again!

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2012, 10:47am

I've had an experience during the last weeks: After a period with quite many palps, which I really felt were related to my digestive system, especially upper stomach, I went once more to the doctor and talked aboutl pulse-felling round the diapharagm many hours during day and night. He did a ecg at once - normal as can be. Then he felt and "pushed" my stomach to search for maybe aneurisms, but didn't find anythng (and also said one of those really would cause pain.) Then we talked about gastric acid, which I now and then used to feel. A bit reflux, but nok all the time.
That made him prescribe me Pantoprazole (a proton-pump-inhibitor/PPI), and during these two weeks I've been on those, I ALMOST haven't had a palpitaion episode. I have really regained my nights. So great.
The problem is you can't just eat these pills all the time, and I've got to stop tomorrow, and now I'm really interested in seeing what is going to happen!

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2012, 11:01am

Martin...exciting news. RLR has gone to great lengthsto discuss the relationship between palps and the stomach.  If they, for some reason, do come back you can be relaxed and know definitively that this is the cause.

Remember its like a twitch in the eye....you wont go blind!  So even if they do come back you can rest easy....and by resting easy this could reduce your anxiety, which reduces an overactive stomach....which will reduce palps!!!!!

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2012, 11:32am

Thanks! Yes, I've been thinking something like that. And also: if it really is so closely stomach related, maybe it would be wise to really check out which food is acid-creating and which is not. (Though I have the feeling that a good part of the nice things on the menu really squeeeze the acid out of the linings ...)
We'll see, and I'll report back in some days.

IP Logged
kchendrix

I Love YaBB 2!

Maryland
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2012, 12:03pm

Just let me encourage you with one big word.  BELIEVE!   Stop listening to your doubting Anxious mind... realize this.  You possess the power to get better.    If you have been to your Doctor and ER over and over with the same results......  then it is time to BELIEVE and ACCEPT.    It took RLR practically reaching through the internet and giving me a cold  slap of reality  and that is what it took...      How could all these Doctors be wrong that I went to see?    I guess I had more education on the subject?   Nope  not at All.  Believe and tell your doubting thoughts to shutup...  Keep practicing that mentality..     Will worrying about it give you one more day of life?   Find a great therapist you can talk to and work out your anxious fears..  It will take a lot of work but you can do it.

If livin' don't come easy , don't stop your own voice, cause the worst part of living is having no choice. (America)
WWW   IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2012, 12:59am

Yes, believing and accepting is important, I agree on that. And no doubt an important tool in breaking the anxiety-vicious circle.
And no, I don't believe that worrying about my palpitations will give me one more day in the life, BUT finding out about what causes them might give me a lot of days without that uncomfortable feeling they create. And I think that this "feeling uncomfy" is more that just something mentally; benign as it is, it does "push some buttons" in you, buttons connected to the nervous system. Chemical og physical, I don't know.

Believing and accepting? Yes, but why not improve the situation if possible? Just like you know you can open a window and let your - benign - headache fly away.

And since it seams that anxiety is not the ONLY cause of benign palps, it is, I belive, important both for "patients" and doctors to go further into causes of these. I truly believe palps are benign once you've been tested, and RLR has given some good desciption of the whole vagus nerve "thing", connecting GI-tract and heart.
How nice it would be if medicine could go further into that, so maybe we would not have just to accept, but could prevent palps from coming.

Like these PPI's might have done for me!

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2012, 8:04am

today I carried the groceries. Heavy bag. As some of you know I have always pain on my chest. While carrying the bag , walking back from the store the pain increased on my chest and suddenly a huge squeeze or skipped beat occured while walking with this bag.
I really freaked out.

Is this normal that it occurs doing this?

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2012, 10:42am

Richie I hate to be blunt but you are just not getting it....and until you do you will just suffer.

Of course what happened is normal!  You are keeping your body under such tension and fear that it is reacting appropriately every time.  RLR has told you numerous times that there is nothing wrong with you....your doctors have told you.

Now you need to believe and get on with your life.....and understand that just because all of the sudden you believe, your symptoms will not just magically disappear!  Your body needs time to recover from the constant 24 hours a day stress you have been putting it under!

Go get your life back and give up this fight!

I hope this helps.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2012, 11:00am

hi Bigcountry

I get it, believe me. I never had this squeezes while walking or carrying heavy things. Always in rest!  I thought skipped heart beats while "EXERCISING" isnt that good.
My skipped beats never happened while moving before !
So you and others experienced skipped beats while moving often?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print