Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help from RLR and others please (Read 8571 times)
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Help from RLR and others please
Dec 08th, 2012, 11:13am

Hi there:

I am a 40 year old male. About 6 months ago, I started getting heart palpitations, usually after I ate. I seriously flipped out, as I had never felt anything like that before. I was scared to eat.

I became very anxious and was only eating minor amounts of food. Since then, I have lost over 80 pounds. I continued to get heart palpitations on and off everyday, and I am completely aware of every noise coming from my chest. I think I was also suffering from bad acid reflux, but the weight loss seemed to cure that.

About 3 months ago, I woke up got out of bed and went into atrial fibrillation. After that, I had all the heart tests done. ECG, 2 week event monitor, Echo, blood tests etc. They say my heart is normal. The palpitations I am experiencing are harmless. The doctors think it may have had something to do with my losing weight so fast. Could that be possible?

Fast forward to today. My doctors think my gallbladder is shot (another issue from losing weight too fast). I have had an ultrasound and they detect sludge. Plus I am getting severe pain and horrible bloating in my stomach that radiates to my back, especially at night. I have had an upper GI endoscopy and they found a minor infection in my esophagus, but nothing that would cause all these issues.

The last couple nights, my palpitations have returned with a vengeance. When I get them, it feels like I have air in my windpipe caught or something, if that makes sense. They usually start when I move or change position. I wasn't that stressed anymore. Now I am again. The only thing I have done differently is I stopped talking my multi-vitamin. I havent eaten much for the last few months. So is it possible I have a vitamin deficiency of some sort? What lack of vitamins can cause palpitations and stomach bloating?

My cardiologist thinks that my body is under stress from whats going on with my gallbladder/stomach, and could go back to normal when the stomach issues clear.

I understand that all this may be due to anxiety, and in fact, there might not be anything wrong with me, but I would sure like to rule out everything.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

IP Logged
Bripkatz
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

NYC
Re: Help from RLR and others please
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2012, 1:39pm

Hey Jeff,

I just joined this forum today after being a visitor for months. This seems like an ideal post to begin my membership and add my voice.

I'm 42 and also struggling with rather regular pvcs. Back in May I caught a stomach virus that wiped me out. Unable to eat for weeks, I lost 35 lbs. On the tail end of my weight loss, my pvcs (beat, strong early beat, pause, stronger beat...) came regularly and sometimes furiously.

To answer your question: Yes, your weight loss may be contributing to all your new heart related sensations. There are several factors that may be causing this -- chiefly, electrolyte imbalance (especially loss of magnesium). Do not, however, seek to improve this imbalance with sports drinks. Instead, try a food based calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplement (from your local health food store).

Jeff, you are not alone. Stress and anxiety exacerbate the palpitations (and vice versa). It's a vicious circle -- one that I'm trying to escape. This forum is packed with heroic palp-fighters. I too have been told I'm "as fit as a fiddle" by general practitioners, cardiologists, and ER doctors -- all after a slew of exams (ekgs, echoes, stress test, blood tests, x-rays...); but at night, when I'm exhausted and vulnerable and trying to sleep, these pvcs tear into my psyche and send me into an emotional funk. At 2 a.m., while counting my skipped beats, I begin to doubt every doctor, every professional opinion, and my mortality. And yet, I'm still here; and so are you.

Try increasing your electrolytes (especially magnesium) and let us know if your palpitations abate.

I'm rooting for you. I'm rooting for everyone here.

All best,
Brian

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2012, 4:56pm by Bripkatz »  
  IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2012, 12:43pm

Thanks for your reply. I hope it gets better for you as well. Its easy to say they are harmless to yourself, until you get a major attack. I think that would cause anxiety to anyone. Very difficult to ignore.

If it was just the palpitations alone, I might be able to deal with it better. Its the extreme bloating and constant pain in I get all day as well. Sometimes I get it in my chest, other times in back and stomach. If I sit, I feel okay usually, but when I get up, my stomach bloats up and I feel pressure in my upper chest. If I walk around or do something it gradually gets better.

One troubling symptom though is I cant walk a decent speed without my heart skipping around. Which scares me, so I start walking really slow again. Happened to me at the grocery store the other night.

I am going in for a HIDA scan (gallbladder) next week. Hopefully I get some answers.

I am thinking it may be trapped gas caused by my anxiety though. As it seems to move around, and its much worse by the end of the day. Morning is tolerable. Can trapped gas cause all this? Anyone?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2012, 5:07pm

Indeed, air or gas that briefly trapped within the intestinal lumen constitutes a type of inflammation of the pneumogastric nerve. It's important here to realize that the pneumogastric nerve becomes the vagus nerve proper as it ascends upward through the diaphragm.

Wayward nerve impulses travel along the nerve until they reach the terminal endings, one of which is the heart. You have to think of the subsequent palpitation events as a muscle twitch rather than any type of cardiac arrhythmia. Much like a bothersome eye twitch, wayward nerve impulses cause the muscles controlling the eyelid to twitch randomly.

The heart is as much a muscle as it is an organ and unlike any other in the body, is extremely dynamic. Wayward impulses are responded to by the heart muscle in very much the same way muscles in the eyelid respond to rogue evoked potentials, or nerve impulses. Realize that by walking fast, the palpitations aren't manifesting because it's challenging your heart, but rather because the contents of the abdomen are being jostled about by the movement of walking at a rapid pace. The notion that one's heart is under duress is reinforced in many instances by the change in frequency of the palpitations by walking slower or stopping altogether. In doing so, the individual believes the heart is no longer under the same workload and thus, the palpitations have abated as a direct consequence. This is entirely a misperception.

There are several factors which could be contributing to your circumstances. Persons who drink a lot of liquids either just prior to, or during, exercise are placing a liquid in the stomach which enhances peristalsis. You might well imagine what is occurring within the stomach and intestines by filling a balloon about halfway with water and the remaining space with air. Take the balloon for a walk with you and you'll be amazed at the level of agitation occurring within the balloon, which is precisely what is taking place in your gut.

Another factor is that people with anxiety tend to swallow copious amounts of air, predominantly when they consume food and/or beverages a phenomenon termed aerophagia. This tendency is enhanced when drinking directly from bottles or a cup versus a straw.

The result is mounting air that becomes trapped below the pyloric sphincter at the stomach, where some moves into the small intestine, duodenum and so on. This air applies upward pressure against the diaphragm and persons experiencing it often complain that they feel like they are unable to take a deep breath or even feel like they are not getting enough air. In fact, the diaphragm is experiencing difficulty drawing down the lungs in order to permit the type of full tidal respiration or inspirational breath which induces relaxation. Many persons also breathe more shallow as a result and this produces mild blood gas imbalance.

The last factor is predisposing conditions such as constipation or other irregular bowel function which produces and traps gas within the colon and intestine. Cholecystitis can indeed produce bloating following meals and result in the type of inflammation sufficient to produce the type of palpitations being discussed. I would mention here, however, that an asymptomatic gall bladder which produces abdominal distention and other clinical features is rather inconsistent. In other words, in the presence of abdominal distention and altered bowel movements, etc., a diseased gall bladder is also commonly producing rather significant upper right quadrant pain soon after a meal that may or may not demonstrate referred pain to the right scapula. Many middle-age individuals have "sludge" appearing in their gall bladder on imaging but it doesn't necessarily constitute anything diagnostic. The same type of discomfort can be evidenced in duodenal stasis, a condition wherein trapped air produces pressure against the retroperitoneal portion of the stomach where it joins the duodenum, causing abdominal distention, colic-type pain that is episodic and eructation or belching.

Regardless of the cause, careful attention and proper treatment of GI inflammation will directly correspond to a reduction in vagus nerve-induced palpitation events while exercising.

The bottom line here is that this particular type of palpitation event is entirely incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event whatsoever. It is the misinterpretation of the origin and implication of the events which sets in motion vigilance to one's heart function and the near constant worry that something is wrong with the heart itself.

You're going to be just fine and you're in no actual danger at all.

Best regards

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2012, 11:45am

Thanks for the response Dr. Rane. I definitely think it's trapped gas, as I felt better last night after taking two Gas-X.

I think the issue with the palpitations for me is that I actually went into a-fib once. So when I feel a fluttering I automatically think I am going into a-fib again.

When I had the a-fib episode, i was under extreme stress and anxiety. I had lost 50 pounds in 2 months and was probably eating 600 calories a day. My bpm was over 200. I came out of it on my own after 45 minutes or so. They caught the afib on the ambulance ECG. That was 6 months ago.

My doctors really haven't given me any explanation of why it happened, or what it is. They just told me "you're fine" after an event monitor and
echo.

Can you have an episode of afib when dealing with bad anxiety?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2012, 4:14pm

Atrial fibrillation is quite common among entirely healthy individuals and is not suggestive of underlying disease.

The response to A-fib is variable between patients and dealing with it in the aftermath can be challenging, most often with apprehension that subsequent episodes can occur just as randomly and unexpected as the original.

A-fib is not life-threatening and based upon the circumstances, it is rather unlikely that you will experience a repeat episode. It's important in any instance to refrain from establishing a course of life based on an all out effort to prevent recurrence. This approach typically involves any measure at all thought to be potentially contributory, when in fact most such presumptions are entirely inaccurate. The point is not to withdraw from life because of your perceptions that your life is at risk.

You'll be fine. I'd press the matter into the pages of history and continue practicing good health habits. You've got a long journey ahead.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2012, 10:30am

Just an update, I got my HIDA scan results back, and my gallbladder is not working properly. I think the word the doctor used was "sluggish". That could be the source of my palpitations, as I have noticed I feel fine when I wake up in the morning. My bloating is gone and my chest is not tight. That changes after I eat breakfast.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print