Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pvcs caused by gallbladder low function (Read 48685 times)
dac
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

pvcs caused by gallbladder low function
Jan 17th, 2013, 7:03am

Hey new to this forum. I have been having problems over the last few years with PVC's. Last night while out to dinner I got a wave of them for a few seconds. I'm trying to figure out the rhyme or reason for these. I have always had stomach problems so I thought over stimulation of the vagus nerve could be the problem. I get frequent dizzy spells and headaches. Last week I had a HIDA scan done and found my ejection fraction rate was at 23% which is low but not terrible. I have a lot of right flank pain accompanying these problems. I wore a halter monitor for a month and no problems other then pvc and pac (benign) were found. Do you think the gall bladder could cause all of this? Also I am being treated for hbp but from what I understand the vagus thing drops your bp. I'm confused. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I am 50 and female and not overweight. I jog at least 3 to 4 times a week. This is disrupting my life.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: pvcs caused by gallbladder low function
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013, 6:29pm

When you describe pain in the right flank, please be more specific. That description would be more consistent with kidney rather than gall bladder problems. Tell me more precisely where you sense the discomfort. It's also important to realize that cholecystitis is asymptomatic in the majority of patients. You mention having "always had stomach problems" and I would ask you to please describe in more detail what the problems constitute.  

With respect to the function of the vagus nerve, it possesses a singular action upon the nervous system and, secondarily or indirectly, a response upon the vascular network. There are many factors which can induce primary hypertension and most are unassociated with vagus nerve function.

Please provide an average of your blood pressure readings.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
dac
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2013, 6:37am

The stomach problems I have are basically acid reflux and gastritis. I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. These came back with gastritis findings. I just had a HIDA scan with the results being the ejection fraction rate of 23%. The pain in my right flank is a soreness in the lower right ribs accompanied by the feeling of fullness under the ribs. I get palpitations after eating (sometimes when I'm hungry) and running,  sometimes just from bending over and often when stressed. Many times these palps are followed by headache and dizziness. I do have pain that sometimes goes all the way down to the inside of my right hip. I also have a large kidney stone on my right side that has lodged itself into it's own spot on the bottom of my kidney (somehow formed its own little pocket). The urologist said if it's not hurting leave it alone I have had it since my 20's I am 50 now. The only thing that seems to help me out are xanax pills. I'm tired of being on all these drugs. I take avapro for hbp my bp is normal now 120/80 but when I'm not on the pills it goes to 147/95 or 98 the low number is my cardiologists concern. I also have high cholesterol around 250 which comes down to 185 with simvistatin. I have had a halter monitor test for a month the cardio see no problems just benign pvc's and pac's. Hope this all helps.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2013, 7:15pm

I too believe that gallbladder disease caused 90% of my pacs and pvcs.  I have had palpitations for the last 20 years which increased greatly over the last 12 years.  I also had  acid reflux and heatburn everyday.  I had a lone episode of afib in 08 so have been under care of cardiologist since.  After thorough heart exams, with nothing serious found,  was put on beta blocker.  Continued to have frequent palpitations (numerous episodes daily).  I have found through experience over the years, there are several things that I feel cause the palpitations, i.e. cold medicines, dental anesthetics, over full stomach and always after eating.  Sometimes the palpitations would start while I was eating, a couple of times, so sever I felt I would faint. In Jan. of 2012  I started having pretty severe pain in my back, right side, midway between shoulder blade and waist, some tenderness under ribs in front.  The pain would start at night when I would lie down.

To make a long story short, because of increase in palpitations my cardio dr. had me on a heart monitor when my pcp sent me for scan because of back pain.  Found I did have gallstones and sludge.  I had surgery in April 2012 for removal of gallbladder.  

About three months after surgery my palpitations had improved by , at least 35%.  As I write this, which I am now 9 months post surgery, I can say the number of palpitations I have, has gone from too many to count daily (and always some of them  after eating) , to one or two daily (usually these occur when I get hungry) .

So, I have to say, maybe not scientifically proven, but according to my experience, a diseased gallbladder most definitely effected my palpitations in a negative way.  WOW-I am so SHOCKED.

I believe 20 years ago I may have been where you are today.  

Hope this helps you. Smiley

IP Logged
dac
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013, 7:35am

ncmimi- thanks for the info. My nephew is a GI in Colorado (I live in NJ) I sent him the info on the HIDA scan and he was perplexed as to why my GI didn't send me to a surgeon with that 23% rate. I guess he felt if I wasn't in constant pain there was no need to take out the gallbladder. Don't think he understands how this is effecting my palpitations.

IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2013, 11:03am

I have the same thing as well. Just had my HIDA scan done, I dont know what my ejection fraction was, but they said I had bilary dyskensia, whatever that means. All I know is I wake up in the morning and I feel okay, by evening I have a horribly bloated stomach, chest pains, back pains and my heart skips. Meeting again with the surgeon on Thursday. He wanted me to get a CT scan first to rule anything else out.

Do you get bloated? I think the gall bladder when its not functioning properly, can cause bad bloating and pressure, which can cause palpitations.

My biggest fear is that my gall bladder is removed and I still get the same pains. Or that I find out afterwards that it was my anxiety causing all the issues.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2013, 11:53am

Seabass17- along with the reflux, heartburn and mid back pain  I had over the past 20 years, I also had low back pain and chest pain. I went to the ER for the chest pain (thinking heart since I was having such an increase in palpitations - after test, ruled out heart) several weeks before I found out I needed gallbladder surgery.  That chest pain had to be related to gallbladder disease.

In my earlier post I failed to say that not only did the gallbladder surgery stop most of my palpitations but also the reflux and heartburn.  

I certainly can't say this is the answer for everyone ( even with similar symptoms) but it was for me.

I consulted with docs over the years for stomach issues and palpitation issues and always stressed to my cardiologist that eating exacerbated my palpitations.  No one in the medical community ever suggested they might be related.  Hence, my total surprise at the gallbladder surgery having such an impact on my palpitations.

Good luck to all.

IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2013, 12:06pm

Hi ncmimi:

Was it chest pain you were experiencing or chest pressure? Thinking about it now, I get mostly pressure in my stomach that radiates into my chest. Always worse after eating. It feels like someone is wrapping a huge elastic band around my chest and stomach.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2013, 12:26pm

Seabass17 - along with other symptoms I listed, I did have stomach bloating and pressure (which I thought was caused by the reflux and heartburn).  The episode of chest discomfort, right before diagnosis of gallbladder disease, was pain.  I do believe, based on my personal experience only, that gallbladder problems (stones, sludge, etc.)can cause a multitude of different symptoms, not the least of which is palpitations.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2013, 4:11pm

Your symptoms could be associated with duodenal stasis, which is a rather archaic clinical term describing pressure against the retroperitoneal portion of the duodenum where it joins the stomach which can produce sometimes dramatic discomfort and symptom patterns quite similar to cholecystitis, including referred pain to the right scapula in some patients. Hyperacidity is also experienced with this syndrome as well.

The ejection fraction is below the threshold and in accordance with best practice standards, surgery is among the options considered. I stand clearly on the side of conservative treatment measures, however, and always advise such an approach prior to any decision regarding surgery. In some cases, surgery is the best course but it's always wise to proceed with lesser measures to be certain that it constitutes the last viable option.

When is the last time your doctor had clinical labs performed to determine your liver enzymes while taking the statin being prescribed?

Best regards,

IP Logged
dac
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2013, 8:15pm

I don't know that I have ever had my liver enzymes checked. Is that something my cardiologist should be on top of?

IP Logged
Lucidboomer
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 1:24pm

The things you talk about are good and valid "reasons" for pvc's to exist.  But the bigger question is - "what can we do about it?"  This is where I spent 7 years researching the topic.  There are many organs that can contribute to a level of function that helps to create conditions where palps can exist.  Our task is to change the environment so that palps are just not an option.  To that end, my work in the area of internal inflammation has show tremendous potential.  If you know how to reverse the damage that creates the palp friendly environment, then you will be palp free like i have been for the past two years.
8-)

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 5:07pm

Anyone on statin therapy who is symptomatic should have a liver enzyme profile performed. Some patients do not respond well to statin therapy and elevated enzymes can produce a variety of symptoms.

Although reports state presently that no such tests are necessary, this is largely an opinion being driven by supporters of the statin drugs, ie manufacturers and physicians and researchers being compensated to represent the products.

Since AST/ALT labs are a normal course of diagnostic study as part of annual physical examination, it is simply wise to have the studies performed in any instance where patients are symptomatic in any context in which elevated liver enzymes could be the causative element.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Lucidboomer
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:49pm

RLR wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013, 5:07pm:
Anyone on statin therapy who is symptomatic should have a liver enzyme profile performed. Some patients do not respond well to statin therapy and elevated enzymes can produce a variety of symptoms.

Although reports state presently that no such tests are necessary, this is largely an opinion being driven by supporters of the statin drugs, ie manufacturers and physicians and researchers being compensated to represent the products.

Since AST/ALT labs are a normal course of diagnostic study as part of annual physical examination, it is simply wise to have the studies performed in any instance where patients are symptomatic in any context in which elevated liver enzymes could be the causative element.

Best regards,

I would add that those on statin drugs, if they are taking them for the purposes of reducing the chance of heart attack, should research Dr. Kilmer McCully.  

Lowering cholesterol as means to reduce this risk only one of the ways to achieve a reduced risk.  But doing it is not without collateral issues.  For example, the body is NOT going to do without cholesterol and will manufacture it at a greater rate if we try to artificially reduce it.  Taking statins will virtually guarantee the patient develops related health issues which would necessitate the addition of more pharmaceutical drugs.

Patients should be advised that they can achieve the same effect by lowering homocysteine levels.  To do this, you require about $8 worth of folic acid per month!  This will allow you to keep your cholesterol and thereby NOT get arthritis and other related complexes associated with statin use.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print