Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about Weird Sensations (Read 4586 times)
rebem86

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Questions about Weird Sensations
Jan 18th, 2013, 5:51am

Lately I've been experiencing pin prick sensations across my left chest as well as, as weird as this sounds, nipple pain. It kind of feels like the chaffing sensation you might get at the beach from sand. I notice it more when walking or stretching.

I also feel muscular pain in my left shoulder blade.

Are both of these pains/sensations brought on by tension?

Lastly, for the first time in awhile since I started dieting I had a large dinner out last night, and it felt like the food was sitting in my throat when I was done, what causes this? It made my breathing uncomfortable.

I hope everyones new year is going well! Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013, 11:29am by rebem86 »  
  IP Logged
marti

I Love YaBB 2!

missouri ozarks
Re: Questions about Weird Sensations
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013, 11:17am

I've had the same type of pains.  I think these are nerve pains.  Sorry I can't help you more.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Questions about Weird Sensations
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2013, 4:42pm

The sensations on the skin are known as paresthesia and do not constitute any type of warning sign of some impending event. Discomfort in the scapular region on either side is nearly always associated with musculoskeletal tension. Stretching and massaging the affected muscle group typically provides relief over time and can be combined with mild analgesics or anti-inflammatory over-the-counter medications.

It is not uncommon when consuming a large meal while in the course of dieting to feel the sort of fullness being described. This sensation is produced by trapped air against the pyloric sphincter where the stomach joins the esophagus. Belching, while typically relieving the sensation, can be difficult to accomplish if anxiety and stress is present.

Although you may have felt that respiration was difficult, it was merely due to intralumenal pressure in the intestines pressing upward against the diaphragm. Realize that in order for smooth tidal respiration to occur, the diaphragmatic muscle must be unimpeded when drawing downward to permit full respiration. The lungs also regularly engage in inspirational cycles that almost over-extend the lungs and produces a calming effect. Patients experiencing difficulty often try to voluntarily produce an inspiration breath and when unable to do so, become even more anxious that they may be suffering from actual air hunger.

Such is not the case, however, and true dyspnea or shortness of breath is heralded by a different course of features most commonly not experienced by most healthy individuals.

You're going to be just fine. These symptoms are merely associated with tension related to stress and anxiety. Try to relax.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print