Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eosinophilic Esophagitis (Read 6514 times)
rebem86

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Feb 11th, 2013, 12:38pm

RLR,

Thank you for taking your time before to address my course of actions in terms of testing so I that I can once again feel comfortable in my own skin. You very clearly evaluated my options and have helped me clear my mind and make some very important decisions. I will finish out the rounds of testings I have left and work with my psychologist in controlling my unfounded fears. None of my doctors think I have any sort of life threatening condition, and although I feel discomfort at times I need to accept that I will be fine and it will pass.

I am writing today to inform you that I had a follow up appointment with my GI doctor and I was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. He informed me that my white cell count was too high in the sample in my esophagus and was able to diagnose me with this condition. So in conjunction with the white marks on my lower esophagus, a small sliding  hiatal hernia, and now Eosinophilic Esophagitis I can quickly see that the chest pains I am feeling are not cardiac related. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but what I am willing to bet, which you seemed to have suggested in one of your previous posts to me is that the Inappropriate Sinus Tach is either something I've always had and had not noticed or is just a form of mild dysautonomia stemming from my anxiety due to a fear of cardiac related death.

Would you agree that seems like a likely assessment? I believe all the chest/back pain can definitely be attributed to my GI diagnosis, and that night where I woke up with chest pain was a GI event that caused a panic attack. Then this kind of snowballed into an anxiety driven cardiac goose chase.

Thank you!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013, 4:16pm

Okay, Eosinophilic Esophagitis is typically an allergen-reactive disorder and although it is most commonly seen in children, adult presentation is not entirely uncommon. Additionally, a portion of the adult cases are atopic, meaning that they arise in the absence of allergen reaction.

It's important to realize that inflammation of the esophagus can produce cardiac rhythm disturbances as well as angina-like pain, although not to the extent that it places the patient at risk.

Work closely with your gastroenterologist regarding treatment of the disorder and you'll find that a reduction in the features of the EE will result in a commensurate reduction in symptoms related to heart rhythm.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print