Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any help/advice/reassurance gratefully received! (Read 6861 times)
MissTibbs
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Any help/advice/reassurance gratefully received!
Feb 25th, 2013, 11:48am

Hi there, I was pointed in the direction of this site and I hope that someone will be able to help me.

I’m sure symptoms similar to mine may have been posted in the past, so please bear with me. I also apologise for the length of this post, but wanted to be thorough.

Firstly, I’m a 44 year old female, non-smoker, non-drinker, no caffeine or medications and I started suffering heart palpitations 12 years ago after the birth of my daughter which was due to the condition of pre-eclampsia.  I was treated with beta-blockers and they soon went away.  Six years ago, I began suffering extreme stress and the palpitations returned.  A skip here and there, a fast heart rate but nothing I couldn’t cope with…until they started turning into runs of palpitations.  In 2011, I suffered two quite severe bouts of “runs” – the first one left me winded and in severe pain to the extent that taking in the smallest breath was like a knife cutting through me and I could barely walk home.  A few months later, after a stressful event, another bout of runs hit me.  This time my heart rate went through the roof and I had severe pain in my neck, difficulty breathing and lightheadedness.  The run lasted about 30 seconds, but the extremely high heart rate carried on for a few minutes until the heart seemed to flop and then went back to normal, as if nothing had happened.  A month later, after severe palps, I finally ended up in an ambulance.  I had several ECG’s, chest xray, bloodwork, a seven day loop recorder and a scan, and all thankfully came back normal.  It was a wonderful moment for me when I received the letter from my cardio telling me that my heart was structurally normal and I suffered ectopic beats, although he worryingly informed me that as a sufferer of palps, I was at an increased risk of a heart attack.  Anyway, I got on with my life, albeit still suffering with anxiety which I have tried so very hard to get under control and still suffering with palpitations, though not runs of them.   I recently read that magnesium can help people with anxiety, so three days ago I started taking a 250mg dose of Magnesium Oxide with my evening meal and I did find that my sleep was much deeper and more relaxed.  This morning, I woke up and felt absolutely fine, lay in bed for about 15 minutes and then got up.  I got up quickly, instead of sitting on the edge of the bed, and walked across the room.  I then bent over to give my dog a quick stroke and suddenly, my heart was all over the place.  The closest thing I can describe it as was like it was twitching, trembling and wobbling in my chest cavity.  I kept calm, thinking it would soon pass, but it didn’t.  I walked along the landing and it carried on.  My husband came out of the shower and by this time, I was finding it difficult to breathe so I lay back down on the bed.  My husband tried to feel my pulse, but he said it was going so fast that it was faster than he could count!  He said afterwards that although it was fast, to him holding my pulse, it appeared to be consistent whereas from my perspective, it was most certainly not consistent and continued to flutter away like a trapped bird who was also jumping on a trampoline.  After about 1 and a half minutes, it suddenly just stopped and went back to normal as previous occasions.  The only difference was I didn’t have any pain in my chest or neck this time, although I was lightheaded and breathless and the fluttering was the longest episode thus far.  My husband immediately took my BP which was normal but I was advised by a nurse on the phone to go to my Doctor to be checked over.  By this time, I was scared and so my BP was high in her office and she told me that having an irregular heartbeat like that was dangerous, so now I have to have another loop recorder, just to make sure everything is fine.  After that, she proposes to put me on an anti-anxiety drug.  My question is; what the hell is happening with my heart?  How could bending over trigger it? Are these runs of ectopics?  Are they AFib or Tachycardia or what?  Is this going to kill me?  Could the magnesium have been a contributory factor – the Doctor has told me to stop taking it.  I’m so fed up having gone nearly a year and a half without one of these “run” episodes and I am now, once again, scared witless and desperate for answers and reassurance.  

I apologise again for the lengthy post and if these symptoms have been previously discussed, but I hope someone may be able to help me.

Many thanks in advance  Smiley

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Any help/advice/reassurance gratefully received!
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013, 6:10pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Firstly, you need to take a breath and relax. The events you are describing, although understandably frightening, are entirely incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event or otherwise place your life in jeopardy.

Also, it would be presumptuous of your doctor to state that having an irregular heartbeat "like that" is dangerous in the absence of knowing precisely what "that" actually represented. From the description you've provided, it merely sounds as though you experienced a run of vagus nerve-induced palpitation events and subsequent to becoming frightened induced a run of PAT, or paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, which is completely harmless and usually lasts for a minute or two before the heart returns to normal sinus rhythm. PAT tends to produce a breathless effect and other odd sensorium but is actually a casual occurrence among otherwise healthy persons.

Your symptoms would be inconsistent with either atrial or ventricular fibrillation and I'll refrain from further comment here since it is not applicable.

In order to understand how bending over can induce palpitation events, we need to briefly touch on simple human anatomy. One of the largest nerves in the body is cranial nerve 10, or the vagus nerve. It constitutes the largest mixed nerve and not only innervates regions such as the spleen, the lungs, the heart and the larynx, but also provides parasympathetic nerve function to the GI tract and is termed the pneumogastric nerve at that level.

When the body comes under stress, the central nervous system in general rises to an elevated state, affording the opportunity for wayward or inappropriate evoked potentials, or nerve impulses, to arise and travel along the affected nerve where upon reaching the terminal endpoints, various organs or tissue regions respond just as a twitching eyelid muscle is responding to a similar wayward impulse.

Likewise, the heart in such instances of palpitations of the type you and countless others experience is simply responding to wayward nerve impulses which travel along the vagus nerve at irregular intervals as a consequence of stress upon the nervous system. These events occur elsewhere as well, but due to the heart's very dynamic nature and anatomical design, the effects are felt most prominently. Remember that your heart is as much a muscle as it is an organ and like any other muscle, its tissues readily respond to stimulation whether intentionally invoked by the heart's normal pacers or from outside the heart by stimulation of the vagus nerve.

The actual role of the vagus nerve is to provide parasympathetic regulation to the heart, which balances sympathetic tone and nerve activity, sort of like the gas pedal and the brakes so to speak, with sympathetic tone generally accelerating things and parasympathetic tone slowing things down. The wayward nerve impulses which produce the palpitation events is not a normal course of the vagus nerve and its ability to influence the heart in this manner is purely by the pathway that the nerve provides throughout several areas of the body, the most important here of course is the heart.

When you bend over or strike a certain body position, certain factors such as abdominal gas or air trapped in the lumen of the intestines creates upward pressure against the diaphragm. Bending over further compresses the space and as increased pressure is induced upon the diaphragmatic musculature, it greatly increases the potential for wayward nerve impulses to arise and travel along the vagus nerve until they reach the terminal endings, one of which is naturally the heart.

Depending upon precisely when these events enter the heart's electrical corridor, the sensation can be experienced in a variety of ways. If during atrial depolarization, the sensation feels more like a light fluttering effect that some patients say they can feel up in their throat.

If the event arrives during ventricular depolarization, the sensation is more strong and forceful due to the size and strength of the ventricles, with patients describing the events as hard thumps, thuds or kicks or that the heart is jumping all around inside their chest.

If the event arrives during ventricular repolarization, then the sensation can seem like a very long pause as if the heart has stopped altogether and this occurs because repolarization at this stage of the cardiac cycle is the only brief instant when the heart is actually motionless before the next cycle begins. The palpitation event merely generates what seems to be an extended pause, which is not actually the case.

Magnesium is only required by the body in very discrete amounts and deficiency is extremely rare in industrialized nations. Many people subscribe to the use of supplements like magnesium with the claim that it can reduce benign palpitation events. This is, of course, entirely inaccurate and any brief respite from the events as a consequence of magnesium intake is purely due to a placebo effect. Furthermore, excess magnesium can sometimes produce bradycardia if taken in sufficient quantity, resulting in secondary orthostatic hypotension which causes lightheadedness and tachycardia upon standing too quickly from a seated or lying position. Magnesium is not going to resolve the circumstances and like your doctor, I too suggest that you discontinue use.

Lastly, it's always important to remember that the only negative consequence of the presence of vagus nerve-induced palpitations is the sensation itself. Again, the origin of these events is extra-cardiac in nature, meaning that they arise from outside the heart and do not constitute any type of classical arrhythmia that would warrant clinical concern. Additionally, if you are experiencing any type of GI discomfort as a consequence of increased stress and anxiety, ie gas or abdominal bloating, then symptomatic treatment and reduction of these symptoms will directly correspond with a reduction in palpitation events as well.

You're going to be just fine. Borrow one of your husband's credit cards with the highest limit, go buy a new outfit and have him take you dancing.

You have a long life ahead and it's critical not to spend those moments in apprehension that is based in irrational fears rather than medical fact.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
MissTibbs
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Any help/advice/reassurance gratefully received!
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013, 11:38pm

Dear Dr. Rane,

Firstly, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart (no pun intended) for your kindness, patience and for taking the time to write such a detailed and easy to understand response.  It is far more than any physician I’ve seen has ever done for me and I am extremely thankful, to the extent that I did actually burst into tears upon reading it – partly from relief and also that someone like you had been kind enough to help me.

It is actually an enormous comfort and I can understand how this was a result of an irritated/over-zealous nerve, since when I thought on it, it did seem similar to when I get a twitch in one of my other muscles, which occurs frequently so I’m well acquainted with the sensation albeit without the high drama and unpleasant side effects.  I have stopped the magnesium and actually, my resting BP is normally around 100/55 so I don’t suffer with high BP except on exertion or as a result of anxiousness/fright.  

I will now go into my day with much, much less fear and continue on my journey to beat my anxiety. Smiley  I’m not sure my husband would entirely appreciate me taking his credit card (which he keeps almost surgically attached to himself at all times) and dancing certainly isn't his forte, in fact it's rather like watching someone trying to stamp out a plague of cockroaches, but I will definitely look forward to my day and many more ahead of me without nearly as much fear and apprehension.  Smiley  

Thank you again for your invaluable help, and very kind regards,

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print