Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silly! Quick Question? (Read 8135 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Silly! Quick Question?
Mar 09th, 2007, 3:35am

Ok did a very silly thing whilst waiting for my sister at the doctors, I was reading a magazine and there was an article on palpitations etc..

Well it's just confused me a little.  I read about Premature ventricular contrations, and it said that patients feel as if there heart stops momentarily and then comes back forceful, which is what I get, it did say that healthy people with stress can have this with no sign of disease, but it can be a sign of disease, so on that score, whenever I've had a ECG or Echo I've never had a what I describe as a missed beat, so if it was PVC, would other aspects on my reading show that is what it is, with out me even having one? (does that make sense, not very good at explaining myself) and would they pick up any signs of problems that could be causing them, physical problams not mental like stress etc..  
BUT when I read on about palpitations it mentioned about pauses, but not the forceful heatbeat after, so would the pause in the palpitation description, feel simular or the same as a PVC? and if it is PVC do many healthy young people get them?, it did say in this article that they can and that eliviating Stress can help reduce the amount of PVC's and are they long term harmful to your heart or just simular to benign palpitations?

Sorry about all the questions, the're just swimming around in my head, and I need clarity on this to help me get on the road to feeling better.

Also, I still cannot get over this hurdle of excercise, I want to but am scared to, I do not know if you recall a while back I posted, but I'd been to the bank and then run back to my car which was all of 20 yards approx away when I got in my car and sat down I got a big missed beat, this has frightened me as I haven't had a stress test, and wondered why my heart would do this.  I do walk around town and do carry my daughter short distances, I do housework etc.. but I am unfit, and know that I should do more excercise, even if it's walking the children to school and generally doing a fast walk.  As I am a little ashmatic to this makes the whole experience worse to.  Is it normal to get missed beats on exercise?

Thank you for your time and patience

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Silly! Quick Question?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007, 7:04am

Hello Kath
I had a treadmill test last week and had some ectopic beats during that but the cardiologist still said everything was normal. I find it hard to believe too, that nothing is wrong. I even had a heart scan to check the heart was structurally okay but I am still having many many ectopics. A bad day particularly today but as far as I can see for no reason as I am not more stressed today than yesterday. I am having no ectopic-free days any more so I am really disappointed with the way my health is going.
It is possible to have them after exercise too but it won't be the exercise that is causing them - if you are like me they are there all the time. But I do know what you mean. A year ago I was advised to take up some cardiovascular exercise to alleviate anxiety, so I went jogging - followed al lthe guidelines for absolute no-hopers at running like me, and when I came back had the most weird dizzy turn when I got home that it put me off ever going again. Perhaps it was a really big ectopic heartbeat because I cant' explain it otherwise, and that has put me off because I don't want a panic attack every time I exercise!
Hope you start to feel reassured soon - even though I am not!

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007, 9:26am

Hi Beadbabe,

Thanks, I have been doing quite well with the anxiety and putting lots of bits into practiced and I seemed to be doing ok, but now I just well don't know really, I rarely go 1 day without having at least 1 missed beat or weird sensation, I look back in my diary and think blimey!, You'll be fine too.  Try to put into practice stuff I've said before and it does help.  I'm obviously not doing to good on it at the moment, positive thinking has gone out the window.  

I can easily reassure and try to help everyone on this site, but when it comes to me, I'm not always good at taking my own advice.

I was reading one of the help sheets from my anxiety management class and it lists things to help eliviate anxiety and stress, and it says to do mild exercise that gets you mildly out of breath like a good 30 min walk or something, there's me trying to jump in at the deep end and do loads of running, so I suppose I should start with walking and then if I feel like it jog as time goes on, hopefully this will gradually build my cardiovascular fitness, and hopefully help with all of my symptoms to.
I will try to post the information, but theres alot of it and I need a hour alone to copy it, it's quite good and just stuff we should be doing normally anyway.

Thanks for your post it's reassuring to hear that you have experience simular and that it's nothing to get concerned about.

You'll be fine, it's tough going, but that's what we are all here for to help each other through these tough times.  At least you know that anything you experience whilst exercising is perfectly ok.  My hubby when through a short spell of running and I said to him does your chest ever feel funny and explain what I feel (missed beats) and he says yeah, and I said well why didn't you say, and he say's because I don't think about it!  (I'd panic and call a cab home! Grin)

Thank you

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2007, 1:26pm

Kathryn,

From a logical standpoint, which is where this issue must reside, you simply can't read something and subsequently it applies to your condition. Physical matters don't change because of what you read, do you understand? You become fearful because you trespass this boundary without hesitation. Once you become convinced or even uncertain, you become compelled to know the answer and gain reassurance as if it were actually possible that something changed based upon new information. And until you gain reassurance, you fall back to square one and worry that symptoms are the basis of an entirely new problem. That is totally illogical. Real life just doesn't proceed in such a manner. Never.  

While anything is possible, very finite things are probable in the world of medicine. That is an unswerving fact and regardless of how far your imagination carries you, it will not change the facts. You are frightened of so much that can potentially rob you of precious life that you are destroying it in the process.

The uncertainty where this is concerned is the root of your condition. You lack the confidence to believe that you are a healthy and thriving individual. You believe your symptoms are capable of harming you and thus, the sky is the limit for anything that falls into that category. You are convinced that your world will come unraveled at the least lack of accuracy in your approach to life, so you take all necessary steps to prepare for absolutely anything within the scope of possibilities with the notion that it will more likely turn out negative rather than positive.

So when symptoms are absent and life is in neutral, you can breath easy and feel no threat. When symptoms appear and life throws you a curve, your level of confidence necessary to overcome hurdles is absent and you become fearful that you cannot control the circumstances nor your destiny. This can be quite frightening indeed, particularly if it is a chronic habit.

You're healthy and your heart is healthy. Nothing you read is ever going to change that fact. Failure to count, failure to wear the right pajamas, or any other ritual will never create a positive influence on factors of life, nor protect you from them. Such beliefs are magical thinking. In other words, the exchange for practicing ineffective rituals is taking action that actually does make a difference. Excersice and good diet rituals will protect your heart and help keep you healthy. So count the number of steps it takes you to jog for 20 minutes, or the number of bites it takes to consume a healthy, balanced meal, or the number of sheep it takes to fall asleep and get a good night's rest. Wear pajamas that are exciting and appealing to your spouse rather than those you feel would be appropriate should you be hauled into the hospital for an emergency (Trust me, I've seen thousands of patients come into the hospital for an emergency and I could care less what they're wearing. We're all more focused on the matter at hand). If a patient's greatest concern during a crisis is the fashion police, it's a good sign that the problem is not that serious. See what I mean?

In very short terms, Kathyrn, it's time to get a life. You're wasting your best years worrying that you won't have them. That doesn't make the least bit of sense. Get out there and live life and forget about all the things that you incorrectly believe are going to suddenly flip the switch on you and take it all away. It's not going to happen. It is only fear that has imprisoned you. In all the time we've talked, not one single event has actually ever taken place with you. Not one. You continue to be healthy, despite your worst fears. You can't argue with facts that speak for themselves. The sure way to shorten your life is to stop enjoying it.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2007, 1:37pm

Thanks RLR

It makes sense, I'm tired at the moment, so will re-read in the morning.

I think because the missed beats have never shown on a recording, I have a niggling doubt in my head of how can they be sure it's benign palpitations if the've no evidence of the missed beats.  I do try to over come this, but my chest has felt odd for a few days + now, and it feels like my heart is going a bit odd now and then, but not actually sure it is.  I have had terrible indigestion and massis of wind.

I will go to bed and try to have a good nights sleep, children and husband permitting! (hubby not feeling well)

Night

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2007, 12:08am

Hi

Read again, thanks, I didn't read and then think or convince myself thats what I get because I do get a feeling that my heart stops/pauses for a second then comes back with a thump, what I class as a missed beat, otherwise I would have dismissed it along with other bits on there that I do not get.
But your post is right, I should get back to it properly as I was doing really well.  I do not want to waste these years worrying.

Unfortunately had a rubbish night, had a dream that everytime I swallowed them breathed in I'd get more fluid in the back of throat to swallow, but I couldn't if that makes sense and I woke to having a weird sensation in my throat and that bit that takes your food to your tummy, It worked out it was trapped wind, but took an hour to go, and I tried to sleep but it was so uncomfortable I couldn't, but I have been having better nights lately.  Problem is by 8 or 9 pm some nights I have trouble staying awake! If we work with my hubby by 8 - 9 I have to go to sleep as I cannot keep my eyes open, and it's been like that at home when we're home, when I get up to get ready for bed I wake a little and am normally in bed by 10pm.

Got a fun day at the school today, so should be good.  Hubby still in bed as usual and I'm up with the children once again, and it'll be an early one tomorrow as I'm taking them swimming.  Easter holidays soon, should get a lay in then!!!!  Smiley

Thanks again RLR, I'll try hard to get myself back on track, I think I'm going to need help to stop the OCD as I find it really hard to stop, but will try.

Have a good day everyone

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2007, 9:52am

Well, herein lies the problem. You stated that you have doubts because the ectopics have not been recorded for observation and confirmation that they're benign. You speak as though you have knowledge of what we look for, or need to observe, when we read an ECG. You've presumed that we need to see your ectopics to rule them as benign. Nothing could be further from the actual truth. In all my years of practice, I've never once had to review an ECG "looking" for benign ectopics. Never. Yet I know the patient is likely experiencing them based upon their description of the events. Additionally, I've seen hundreds of thousands of such ectopics appear on ECG and consider them unremarkable in every sense.

We look for a vast number of signs that cardiovascular disease may be present, together with other diagnostic tests that would indicate interference with the heart's ability to do its job. We process this information based upon our training and experience. We do not practice medicine based upon presumptions by the patient of what we need to do in order to rule out disease.

You are healthy in every sense of the word and your previous tests confirm this in absolutely every facet. Your problem lies in the inability to truncate obsessive thoughts that force you to initiate compulsory acts, ie counting and attire rituals just to mention a few of likely many. These actions persist because you've incorrectly placed your trust in their authenticity, when in fact they are entirely fictitious in nature.

You must work through your therapist to begin an exchange of thought patterns that continuously lead you astray from the truth about your health status.

As for waking with the sensations in your throat, it would not surprise me in the least if a variant of GERD is not appearing from time to time. Despite my admonitions on the subject, my experience as an old physician tells me that you're still eating late at night on occasion, likely while in bed and you're still dousing your stomach in rich tea and whatever else will suit your habits. Doing so will only yield one result in the presence of the predilection for IBS.

Changing habits is not easy and it requires strict discipline and confidence. You're as capable as anyone who appears on this forum of accomplishing this goal, but you will only advance toward it when you abide by self-imposed rules that must not be broken.  

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2007, 11:56pm

Thanks again.

I do not eat late at night, only the other day when we went out with a group of friends for a meal and couldn not get the table until 7pm, but it was still a good 2-3 hours after that I went to bed.  Yes I have a cup of tea, but de-caffinated and I do not drink that on an empty tummy, as I remember you saying that wasn't a good idea, and I have cut down considerably when it comes to tea, my friends often ask Kath you got one of your special tea bags, and I do not have strong tea either it has to be weak.  The only thing that I have been doing that I shouldn't be is getting up to quick after eating, also I'm so fed up with cooking (as everyone else in my household doesn't cook) so I've been having quick meals.  I can't eat spicy and I do not like tomatos (but love ketchup, strange I know) or mayonaise and all sauces etc.. have that in or horrible cheesey ones that taste just nasty, and I'm rubbish at experimenting!  Will have to buy a really good cook book I think.

These past couple of weeks my chest and heart have felt really strange, I keep getting this feeling like my heart is totally out of sync but not missed beats.  and every now and then I get a extra strong beat, it nearly always happens when I breathe in.  Like yesterday I was blowing up one of the girls armbands and when I breathed in my heart felt like it was all over the place, in this a result of the vagus nerve again, as I didn't take a breath and tried to blow it up in one go! next few I took breaths between and was ok.  It's just a different sensation.

But I have been really good this weekend and took RLRs advice, my children had a fun day at there school, and there was a lady teaching dance, my friend said did I fancy giving it a go and I said ok, little did I realise it was quite vigorous excercise for about 30 - 45 mins, my heart raced really fast a couple of times but I continued, really surprised myself (ache now though) and I took the children swimming on Sunday.

It's just the odd sensations and beats I've been getting the past couple of weeks, it's put doubt in my mind, and I need to get over that.  also my heart feels like its beating quite fast, but is only 82 most the time which is average for me.

Also I'm worried about money at the moment, or the lack of it, my hubby has just started a new job and I keep waking anxious every week day when he works, as I'm worried about these odd beats and sensations happening again, but have had amazing amounts of wind.  My hubby is being a little awkward lately and not very helpful, I appreciate he works alot but I still need help at home, 3 very highly spirited children, my daughters role play alot and get everything out, the oldest of the 2 is getitng better at helping tidy but my 2 year old just doesn't get it!  I'm so tired, but my hubby never seems to allow me to have a lay in, and will stay in bed with me, so I do not relax as the children are up and I can't face coming downstairs to a mess, so it's usually me up early every day, whilst he lays in to 9.30 - 10.30, I don't mind as he does work hard, but it'll be nice if I could get a good lay in one day!  I feel a little lost when my youngest goes to pre-school, so I suppose all these things are making me feel like I am.

Thanks again,

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print