Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stroke risk with minor A-Fib? (Read 6736 times)
Hahzist
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Stroke risk with minor A-Fib?
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:30am

Hello,

This is my first post here. This seems like a really good place, people seem to know what they're talking about and give straight answers.

I’m 27 years old. I started getting heart "flutters" once in a while when I was 23. Sometimes it feels like a flutter and other times it’s a skipped beat followed by an extra beat. One day about 2 years ago when I was 25 I had one of these flutters but it didn’t stop which threw me into a panic. After I calmed down I had an irregular heart beat but a normal heart rate. This persisted for 48 hours and then corrected itself overnight in my sleep. During this time I got an EKG and the doctor said it was Atrial Fibrillation. After the A-Fib subsided I got an ultra sound on my heart which revealed no irregularities. I saw a cardiologist who told me to take aspirin once a day for a month in case of stroke.

I have not had an episode since then, but I do get these A-Fib (I’m assuming) palpitations usually once or twice a day. They only last a second or two but they are uncomfortable and I’m conscious of it. They are worse with caffeine intake, alcohol, pushing myself too hard in exercise, and stress all of which I try to avoid especially caffeine. Either way I still get them, though not as “severe” when avoiding those things. My main question is do these minor palpitations once or twice a day increase my risk for stroke or is that risk usually associated with longer bouts of A-Fib? Also any other feedback would be much appreciated if anyone has a similar circumstance. I’ve been told I’m very young to have had AF which concerns me about my future.

Thanks a lot, I look forward to any responses. This place is great.

IP Logged
bababooey
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

O-H...I-O
Re: Stroke risk with minor A-Fib?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2012, 10:28am

Hi Hazist.  I'm not a doctor, and have had no medical training beyond basic first aid, so frame everything I'm about to say in that context.

I've had three episodes of afib in my life.  The first episode happened when I was 27.  I was in the military, doing intense training before a deployment.  I was probably burning 4000 calories a day, and consuming as much with McDonalds for lunch and breakfast, and Subway for lunch, then half of a bottle of vodka and a pack of cigarettes in the evening and finishing up the day with 3-4 hours of sleep.  At the time I was asking a lot from my body and not treating it very well in return.  The result was a 12 hour episode of atrial fibrillation.  It resolved itself after I consumed a lot of potassium (OJ and bananas).

The next episode was 8 years later.  I was on a diuertic which caused my potassium levels to plumet.  I woke up one morning in afib.  I ate 4 bananas, and my rythm went back to normal.

A few months later, I quit smoking.  I developed some digestive problems from nicotine withdrawl, and as a result, my body was not absorbing nutrients from  food as well.  That resulted in low potassium, and another 4 hour episode of afib until I was able to bring my potassium back up (low sodium V8 and bananas that time).

Though the above has nothing to do with your question, I wanted to share with you the cause and solution to my afib episodes.  My doctor had no idea about the link between afib and potassium, but three episodes of afib resolving each time shortly after consuming a lot of potassium cannot be just coincidence.

My suggestion to you would be to increase your potassium and magnesium consumption.  For potassium: bananas, avacado, low sodium v8 (useses potassium instead of sodium) are good sources of potassium.  For magnesium: raw nuts and green leafy vegetables are good.  Try that for at least a month, and see if it helps.

I asked the same question you did about stroke to my doctor.  He said basically the longer you are in afib, the greater your chance.  Also, coming out of afib and back into normal rythm has the potential to dislodge a formed clot (potentially causing a stroke).

There is a good afib forum : forum.stopafib.org

You're a young person, seemingly in good health.  If I were you, I would try to determine the cause of your afib and see if you can correct it without drugs or surgery.  Afib often does progress as time goes on, so nip it in the bud if you can.

IP Logged
Hahzist
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2012, 11:00am

Thanks a lot for your response. During my state of AF I did read about the potassium thing and the last night I had it I ate a lot of beans and bananas (potassium and magnesium). It's funny you mention the low sodium V8 I stock up on that stuff because of the easy potassium fix it gives. I've noticed every time I get a palp or my heart seems a little elevated I drink a big glass of that and it really helps. Also interesting how doctors don't seem to acknowledge this, I had the same conversation with my doctor.

What you said reaffirmed my belief that potassium does help. My AF like I said since that episode are very brief, maybe a second or two, so thank you for sharing what your doctor told you about stroke risk, makes me feel better about it.

It's definitely worse after a heavy night of drinking alcohol or having a coffee. I'm in good shape and I exercise but that doesn't seem to escape the consequences of drinking. I guess time will tell. If it gets worse I will have to stop being a horse toothed jackass and quit drinking.

IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2012, 11:10am

Hi Hahzist:

What you are experiencing now may not be atrial fibrillation, but rather, just anxiety caused heart palpitations. One way to tell would be to wear a holter or event monitor. An event monitor might be better, as you wear it for 2-4 weeks and you hit a button when you feel a flutter, and it records it.

I would think you would need to be in A-fib for more than a few seconds to have an increased risk of stroke, especially at your age. Please keep in mind, atrial fibrillation is not life threatening.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2012, 8:10am

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Atrial fibrillation is quite common among otherwise healthy individuals and in of itself is not a clinical concern at all. The prospect of thrombus secondary to fibrillation has been quite overdrawn and actually requires the presence of many factors, i.e. thrombin/prothrombin values and other relevant circumstances. We are only concerned about thrombus in persons with the associated risk factors present and this is typically limited to those of advanced age and more prominently those who have a past medical history of myocardial infarction, stroke, etc.

At 27, you have nothing to worry about at all with reference to such risk factors. Additionally, the events you are experiencing are vagus nerve-induced palpitation events and are not associated with atrial fibrillation in any context. Benign palpitations are merely isolated contractions by heart tissues in response to wayward nerve impulses which travel along the vagus nerve to the terminal endings, one of which is the heart. It is nothing more than a muscle twitch similar to that which might be experienced with an eyelid or other muscle group from time to time and the events hold no capacity to induce any type of cardiac event nor interrupt your heart's ability to do its job. Although frightening, they originate from outside the heart and are entirely limited to the sensation produced, nothing more.

You'll be just fine. At 27, you need to redirect your focus to what you want to do with the next 60 or 70 years of your life because you have a long journey ahead of you, not to be interrupted to diminished by even a much as a second in time as a result of the presence of the palpitation events you are presently experiencing.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print