Send Topic Print
New here. questions. (Read 3067 times)
kmwondering
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

New here. questions.
Dec 31st, 2012, 3:50pm

so happy to have found this forum. I've had what seem to be pvcs for years waxing and waning. the explanations provided by RLR are the best I've read. I've learned not to worry about them. I've become increasingly concerned about changes in my heart rate. I recently had an ekg, home monitor (telemetry, didn't record 24 hours but at intervals and when I triggered it or it noted tachycardia or Brady). all sinus rhythm. only comment about the stress echo is that my rates were up....I was absolutely anxious. 99 laying before the treadmill, 130 as soon as I stood up and up to the 180s shortly into the test. I stopped looking and completed 12.5 minutes of the test. while these were all exaggerated by anxiety, my heart rate does shoot up when I stand and seems high with little exertion. I had been jogging for about a year but have not recently. I am 33 am generally healthy. my main question, I guess, is can such drastic changes be a variant of normal or simply due to anxiety daily? I am being treated for that now but am concerned about pots and dysautonomia. my resting heart rate in the evening can be in the 60s-70, but it is always high when I wake up. feels like it is racing when I wake up and keeps going higher as I start moving. thanks for reading. I hope this makes sense.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: New here. questions.
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2012, 4:32pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Sinus tachycardia in of itself is not a concern in the absence of other supporting clinical data. It's important to realize that transition to a sedentary lifestyle, whether healthy otherwise, can produce dramatic changes in heart rate on even mild exertion.

Anxiety can certainly cause a general increase in basal heart rate and moreover, fears about one's health can drive it even higher. You need to stop trying to diagnose yourself or otherwise raise concerns about POTS and dysautonomia. These conditions demonstrate very characteristic signs and the tendency by laypersons to practice clinical diagnosis by merely matching and associating symptoms which seem similar is entirely subjective and inaccurate.

You should also realize that sympathetic tone, which is responsible for increasing heart rate, responds to feedback from the sensory network and vigilance to one's heart rate will invariably produce an increase in rate, sometimes remarkably depending upon the reaction of the individual to unexpected values.

You need to relax. The tests described would have elicited markers for any type of underlying cause and negative test results literally means negative and not any type of approximation or uncertainty.

You'll be fine. Have a Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
kmwondering
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: New here. questions.
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2012, 4:58pm

thank you so much for your prompt and kind reply. I'm putting away the monitor for the new year and am going to strive to exercise again despite the fear. this forum really is invaluable. Happy New Year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print