Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vibration/Electricity from guitar is causing palps (Read 9983 times)
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Vibration/Electricity from guitar is causing palps
Jan 03rd, 2013, 7:53am

I know what RLR will say, it's just a coincidence and there's no relation between this, but honest to go, it's happening.

I'm not scared about it. I'm 100% convinced that it won't cause me any harm anyway and I'm completely aware of the fact that I don't have heart disease, and that palps can't cause any cardiac problems.

However, it's making me give up guitar just beause of the discomfort. I play almost every day usually.

When I play the guitar sits on my leg. I don't know if it's the vibration from the amp or the electrical current from the guitar, but something causes me to have palps. Sometimes my heartrate increases, but more often than not it's ectopics, flutters etc. And it's constant, all the way through my playing. When I stop the palps stop.

I don't want to give up guitar or even play less. It's one of my favourite things. I know I could carry on my whole life and never suffer any cardiac event, only feel discomfort. However, the discomfort puts me off playing and it takes the fun out of it.

What are my options? Is there something that can be done to lessen palps (apart from the obvious anxiety things which I dont actually have anymore)?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Vibration/Electricity from guitar is causing palps
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 6:39pm

Well, I'm not so certain that it's mere coincidence but you can experiment to help better determine whether your hypothesis is accurate. You can leave the guitar entirely unplugged and play it, or alternatively flip it so the strings are facing you rather than being plucked, and even stand to play and determine whether it could be body position and arm or hand movement that is causing upper diaphragmatic pressure capable of inducing the palpitation events.

It would not be likely that the electrical current or vibration is causing the events to occur, but more often the forward leaning position necessary to accommodate the guitar.

I don't believe it is prudent to give up playing, but rather determine more precisely the cause and work to mitigate it.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2013, 3:17am

hi Bayroot

I recognize this all the way. When i',m playing my synth, try to swim, try to drive my car. wheel, try to take something out of the cabinet. lean on my elbows , try to walk, i get more pain on my chest and palps or fast heart beat
Like you and RLR tell me... dont worry. just play and do your thing, nothing will happen. nothing is wrong.
Thats the textbook talking. its true but not that easy
now back to people with feelings and flesh and blood. I understand how difficult and annoying it is. I cant do anything or my body goes haywire. Its not that easy too experience these annoying palps and increased heart beats. (you say you arent afraid of them but yet you willing to stop what your love doing...? If I wrote this , I would read i'm inconsistent and anxious..sorry but I had to write this down, Wink
I understand its not anxiety.. its depressing and demoralizing. you dont know why and what ..it kills the joy you get from doing things and in the end you avoid even that things to avoid the  sensations.
I quess avoiding it or dont want to play anymore because of it is not the solution , and offcourse not nescessary but I understand where you coming from my friend.

bodily position is my best quess. Anxiety when doing something you like seems strange to me
for instance when i raise my arms i often above my head I get more problems. Carrying a bag on my shoulder. my chest explodes. and big palps

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013, 5:05am by richie »  
  IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2013, 5:42am

RLR, thanks. Upon review, I think it's most likely the slouched position that I sit in, but I will do some experiments, haha.

Richie, thanks for your post. I would just like to say (and I mean this to be friendly, not nasty) that the difference between us is that I am convinced that there is no harm to be done to me here. I know it's just benign palps. It's just that during guitar playing I need maximum concentration and it's throwing me off. I could sit here playing for 10 hours and it wouldn't concern me at all that I was going to die or be hurt. It would just take my concentration away so I would miss a few notes.

In your situation, it's the realisation that everything is benign that you need to grasp. You seem to always be looking at new diseases and trying to relate them to yourself. I feel that, if you were in this situation, you would be convinced that it couldn't be anxiety/posture, you would ask if you needed more tests/if it could be another tropical disease etc. This is not where I'm coming from. There is no part of me that has any fear about them, it's merely something that is effecting my concentration in an area that requires maximum from me.

I don't mean to sound patronising to you Richie, sorry. I know I sound like a nasty man here, but I don't mean to.  Smiley

I'll experiment with my posture and positioning and post again if I find that it doesn't resolve itself.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2013, 6:00am

no offend taken

although I do not agree fully .
I get pushed to much in the corner of hypochondriac. If you read my answer to Chris you know why this is a topic for me the last years.

Believe me when I say, I look for answers just like you.
It's get explained as health anxiety.
But sometimes I just get symptoms at moments just like you which I want answers for why I get them and how I can get them away.
Its not that I think I gonna die every day..
I want to know WHAT and WHY.
And the WHAT and WHY is not always anxiety. As you state in your own example.
In my case its the same. Man, I have severe chestpain. EVERYDAY. Its no picknick. every movement increases it also. I often can cope with it for days or weeks and then one day out of nowhere the pain scale goes out of the roof and than..yes than I sometimes doubt if its not my heart or I cant take it. i cant carry a bag or my heart skips, palps, and goes into 150 bpm not a picknick. And its not always anxiety ..no way, or maybe it is.. I just dont know... it just happens. Do I think i;m dying than? NO
I just want answers.

please play your rifs and solo's my friend

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2013, 6:09am

Oh no, I didn't mean to say that your symptoms aren't distressing or extreme. I have had the same symptoms, I know how annoying they are. My symptoms stopped when I stopped worrying if they were serious or not.

I think this is caused by my posture whilst playing. I'm not worried that it's anything more than nothing. It's hard to concentrate on playing 100 notes in 10 seconds when your heart is skipping lol. I have no fear of playing, it's just that I am required to be 100% concentrated and it's becoming difficult.

I don't think you have any problem at all Richie. Like I said before, I'd like to meet you in 20 years and have a beer, lol. I do believe you have HA, I'm sorry. It's not something to be ashamed of. Everyone here has been in the same situation.

Your heart can handle speeds of 150 and a lot more. I know the pain must really hurt on your chest, but it's not your heart at all, otherwise you would have been dead before you could even make your first post. Have you tried painkillers etc?

These palps are never gonna hurt me, or cause me anything more than a slight lack of concentration. I'm not asking for a diagnosis, I just wondered if it's possible that the electrics/vibrations are causing it. If I knew for certain that electrics/vibrations cause it I can change the position of the guitar so that the vibrations don't hit me, or I can try to reduce the gain/distortion on my amp etc.

This is where our difference is. I'm just trying to adapt to something which I know has NO bearing on my physical health whatsoever. If you thought in these same terms I think that your symptoms would calm at least a little, maybe not totally.

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2013, 6:15am

BTW, on a side note Richie, it ISNT always anxiety. But it's always BENIGN.

This problem I'm having isn't linked to anxiety. My anxiety is practically non-existant these days. It's linked to my posture or possible electronics/vibrations.

Although you are told that you have health anxiety, it doesn't mean that anxiety is causing all of your symptoms. For example, you might have pain on your chest that is caused by tensing your muscles or sitting in a slouched position. You sit in that position BECAUSE you are anxious. So it's not always vagus nerve inducement that make the palps. Sometimes your anxiety about your heart causes you to place your body in positions that NATURALLY cause palps because you are squashing all your organs together, etc.

I noticed before that when I used to have palps, I used to slouch over in a protective stance like I was keeping my chest away from harm. I had chest pains LOADS. I always thought it was my heart. But when I got rid of my anxiety (by educating myself on this site) I naturally started sitting in better positions, because I wasn't trying to protect my heart from anything. Naturally, because I wasn't squashing my chest anymore the pain STOPPED. This is why people like RLR and myself say to you to deal with your anxiety first. Because once your body and mind are in a calmer state, and your posture improves, and you stop tensing, and you start moving more, then the physical disturbances stop.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2013, 6:29am

thx.. wrote you a pm !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print