Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Here's a Question for All of You (Read 388513 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Re: Here's a Question for All of You
Reply #105 - Aug 24th, 2010, 7:08am

fear is worse than what we fear. If its failure, or any other fear, its so awful to feel.

That is why I am going to give the mindfulness meditations a try, to see if I can observe it and unpick it in a way that may tell me why my body is doing this.

At least we are now thinking outside of our own boxes

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #106 - Aug 24th, 2010, 11:51am

Yes I agree, minfulness has been around for a VERY long time (2000 years?) - as you know, even though it might seem new to us now. As it involved being in and taking note of the present and relaxation then as far as I can see it can only do us good.

I am going to start too.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #107 - Aug 24th, 2010, 1:42pm

I'm going to try and talk a little more on negative thinking and its impact.

Since my last posting I've tried to make an effort to actively listen to my emotions such that I make note to pause for a moment each time I have what I perceive to be a negative thought or image. I am sure I missed many because I have become used to the process but from the ones I've remembered I think I can see some obvious traits.

Negative thoughts always seem have a trigger. I noted in my previous post that they seemingly appear at random times but I think I was wrong in saying that. An obvious example comes to mind. I have actively avoided watching hospital dramas on TV (Grey's Anatomy, ER, etc.) because they remind me of my own fears. I very much dislike seeing people having heart attacks or dying of diseases in hospital (even if they are just actors). I have always found these shows very boring and would normally just yawn my way through them, and have always disliked the 'deathly' tone of these programs, but I never once had a problem with actually seeing one on TV before my anxiety. When Michael Jackson died and the news reporters were all saying it was cardiac-related I purposely avoided watching the news; not because I was affraid of hearing about a man that'd died, but I didn't want any reminders of heart attacks or illnesses because these were things that I was having serious anxiety over.

Previously when my anxiety was much worse than it is now (I would say it its height), I was seemingly bombarded with reminders of the specific things that I was worried about, notably heart attacks. Every single day I would see things about heart attacks, death and illness. Michael Jackson's heart stopped and killed him (albeit drug induced), I was obsessively looking up heart related issues on Google, news reporters seemed to be reporting heart attacks constantly, even people in online games would have usernames like "h34rt4774ck" (if you can't read that, it says "Heart Attack"). I even started becoming superstitious to the point where I started thinking it was a sign of things to come.

The point of the above paragraph is that these negative thoughts also seem to be rooted in fear. When I look back on the above times and remember, there really wasn't any force working against me producing all these heart related events, it was my own mind actively seeking them out and recognising them in every detail. I was paying no attention to the other events in my life and focusing in on one or two in particular.

I will post more on this aspect of our anxiety at another time when I have more to add.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #108 - Aug 24th, 2010, 6:35pm

Sometimes people stay in a situation, (anxiety/fear), because they are used to it and change, even for the better, can be anxiety producing.  I do not think this is where I am at.  I have fear, a lot of fear.  Ultimately I think it may be of dying or being on my own and needing to depend on myself.  My father passed away in 2001 - it was very traumatic as I was very close to him.  My mother is now on hospice, and I see her decline.  I work in a long term care facility as a director of nursing and I see many people in their last days of life.  Many of them are very accepting and are not fearful.  They welcome it.  Some are fearful.  I don't think for myself my anxiety is based on one particular thing.  It may have started with tachycardia episodes, but I think it was an accumulation of stress over a period of time that brought on the tachycardia.  I began to ruminate and become fearful of the tachycardia, so that is what I focused in on.  But that is not really the cause of the anxiety.  I think it has more to do with being afraid to be on my own and a dependency problem because somehow I must be very insecure, even though on the exterior, most people think I am very confident.  The negative thoughts and what you tell yourself can just add to the anxiety - the what if's (what if I get tachycardia during this meeting?  What if I feel faint? )  I think for myself it is a feeling of not being in control.  It's like I have lost confidence in my body when at one time I was proud of it.  I think I have made progress, but I have must more to work on.

IP Logged
jason

Reply #109 - Aug 25th, 2010, 1:35am

Hi Jo / George,  Smiley
I’m not RLR, but I’d like to comment on your posts as we are on this journey together and I think commenting on each others posts might, just might, help us all along, even if by accident. Hope so.

Hi Jo,
I agree with you that people can be afraid to leave the safety of the familiarity of what they know – anxiety for us usually, or is it now just a habit to have our anxiety threshold ticking over so high that it now seems the norm?

And for sure focusing in on it with negativity does certainly make it much worse. I guess working where you do exposes you to your fears frequently.

But other people have a similar job and don’t experience the same problems, so there is something else going on too I guess – as you know.

I bet most people see many of us on this forum as quite confident, apparently people think that of me too – but it’s really an act, I’d feel ashamed if people knew how I really felt inside, so I guess we hide that from them? we are ashamed to show our true feelings as they seem weak.

We are not the person that we want to be at the moment are we. Perhaps that goes for ALL o fus with these issues?

What do you think?

Hi George,

I guess the negative thoughts seemed not to have a trigger at 1st because they have now become an instinctual habit? And you are or were avoiding exposure to your fears by turning away from the news and those hospital type programs, because they remind you very vividly of your own fears – as you said and I think this is a classic anxiety sign.

It’s kind of like buying a type of car that you have only seen once or twice before, then seeing that same type everywhere you drive now you are looking out for it. Before it was not on your radar, now it is. It’s the same with us now; our radar is set to consciously or subconsciously be on alert for things relating to our anxieties in any way.

As you know, the question is why do we get to that stage, when normal people don’t?

Do you have lots of spare time in your day to ruminate on your issues George? I know I have way too much time and it certainly doesn’t help at all. Are all of us on this forum using our mind space for the wrong thoughts?

Tyler spoke about mindfulness and you have done some of that right now by stopping to actually observe your thoughts, you have observed the fearful thought and found that actually you are NOT your fearful thought at all - do you get what I am saying? it's a weird thing when we take a step back and just observe what is going on in our own minds - so much of it is habit and negativity, which is why I think we feel out of control...

and I think that is a big issue with most of us here, the fear of being out of control of our lives, out of control of our own bodies, but in reality we only have control of our minds in this very moment - ok that's too deep for me! I'm out of here!  Grin

IP Logged
jason

Reply #110 - Aug 25th, 2010, 1:54am

I think when we look at RLR's analogy using OZ, we can see that all of the main characters were very unhappy with who they were deep down to their very core.

And I'd say I am not who I want to be or expected to be when I was younger either - I have turned out to be less than my hopes and expectations.

This is not about money and material things, but my general being. Perhaps I fear staying like this for ever?

Perhaps most of us do???

But what/who do I / we have to be inside to become complete and at ease?

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010, 7:40am by jason »  
  IP Logged
ckgage

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #111 - Aug 25th, 2010, 7:16am

Jason, I agree with what you are saying.  We feel out of control of our thoughts and of our bodies, and the anxiety stems from that.  What makes it hard for me is that it feels like you cannot escape the anxiety.  You can't take a vacation from it.  But I think what we are all coming around to here is that we DO have quite a bit of control......if we get control over our thoughts and how they leap to illogical conclusions, we will, in a sense, have control over our bodies as well and the symptoms that come up simply from anxiety.

The reason RLR is a comfort is that he speaks the truth from experience and the truth brings comfort.  We go to the doctor because he speaks the truth.  We read up on Google because we think it will give us the truth of the matter, although we don't have the ability to sift through what we are reading well enough to have it actually BE truth.  

These are all external sources that bring me temporary relief from being anxious.  Go to the doctor and he tells me I am fine.......feel better for a time until some strange new sensation crops up and the cycle starts all over again.  

How can I stop the cycle myself, without the constant need for affirmation from an external source?  Of course, there are times when you DO need to go to the doctor, and for a person that struggles with anxiety related to health, that can be really hard to determine.  But, really, I don't want to have to go to the doctor to put my mind at ease when I have already been told that everything is ok.  

My control returns to me (don't want to speak for everyone!) when I can speak the truth of what I know to myself, make the choice to not be afraid of what is to come, and get on with my life!

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #112 - Aug 25th, 2010, 12:43pm

My previous post #95 seems to apply to a few of us and the idea that we become intensely aware of things that were always there, like news of heart attacks because our fear has us on high alert.

I would agree with that for me personally and am now becoming more aware of RLR's explanation that the whole of the nervous system is involved. The part that effects the heart is more concerning because its a major organ and when it goes out of sync its so scary. But, in reality I have so many symptoms that prove to me my whole system is up and jangled. A door blowing closed now not only make me jump, but has me shaking for a while. Loud noise bothers me more and bright lights.

I was so busy thinking: how do I get rid of these darn palps and calm the vagus nerve that I neglected to ask myself: how do I calm my whole nervous system?

This is what I feel  must do. I need to find calm again and to do this I will employ some help, e.g. audio tapes for meditation. From this I hope to find my own personal reasons for what is happening to me.

I did a mindfulness meditation on YouTUBE yesterday and just that one meditation caused me to realize how angry I feel/felt toward someone. I did not care if the anger was right or just...I just accepted that I am angry about a situation. I slept better last night than I have in weeks. Was that because the meditation, the insight gained? I just dont know yet

WWW   IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #113 - Aug 25th, 2010, 2:09pm

Typer wrote on Aug 25th, 2010, 12:43pm:
My previous post #95 seems to apply to a few of us and the idea that we become intensely aware of things that were always there, like news of heart attacks because our fear has us on high alert.

I would agree with that for me personally and am now becoming more aware of RLR's explanation that the whole of the nervous system is involved. The part that effects the heart is more concerning because its a major organ and when it goes out of sync its so scary. But, in reality I have so many symptoms that prove to me my whole system is up and jangled. A door blowing closed now not only make me jump, but has me shaking for a while. Loud noise bothers me more and bright lights.

Yes, I have other symptoms too that most of the time I don't recognise. Loud noises also make me startle and can also leave me feeling a little shaky. Bright lights sometimes bother me, too. I have chest pains and shortness of breath, increased heart rate. My hands also seem to tremble mildy if I try to hold them out steadily. I get shooting pains in certain places, I'm irritable and have little patience anymore.

Again, I tend not to focus on any of those and remain focused on the ones that I fear the most, such as chest pain and increased heart rate.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Jules
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Lancs, UK
Reply #114 - Aug 26th, 2010, 2:15am

Hi, am new here, so sorry if this has already been suggested, but has anyone read "Self Help For Your Nerves" by Dr Claire Weekes? This book completely changed my attitude to palpitations and all the other physical symptoms of anxiety, after years of suffering. I strongly recommend it to help put your symptoms in perspective - it worked for me!

Anyway back to the thread...

I have never been injured in a car accident, but have amazingly walked away from a couple of motorway pile-ups unscathed. Every time I drive past the scene of the worst one now, whether I am aware of it or not, I feel faint! However, after reading Dr Weeke's book I can now smile to myself and say "there I go again!". Similiarly I now ignore the (increasingly mild) palpitations.

The book is not the only reason I decided (and it IS a decision) to stop being a slave to anxiety and palpitations.

5 years ago my husband died suddenly of a heart attack. "All the more reason to be anxious", perhaps?!

He was a very fit and healthy man, - triathlete, runner, obsessive about food, fat, calories, etc etc. Had more books on fitness than the local library. Weight-trained 3 or 4 times a week, never smoked or drank. Never ill. The very LAST person anyone would expect to die of a heart attack. He just came back from a short run, felt dizzy, and dropped. The post mortem found all his arteries were clogged, and the coroner said if he had not been so fit he would have died 10-15 years earlier.

The point I am making is this. Just like a car accident, there was NOTHING he could have done to prevent his death. In fact he did EVERYTHING HUMANLY POSSIBLE to stack the odds in his favour! Since then, whenever I am asked about him and relate "the story", there is always someone who has a similar tale of someone they know. Never once has anyone said:  "and he had palpitations for years you know, and the doctors said it was just anxiety!".

So get the book, and laugh at yourself, as my husband used to laugh at me and say "Get off your a*s, stop worrying and go for a run!"

Sending you all a big hug!

Wink

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #115 - Aug 26th, 2010, 2:42am

Welcome Jules and thank you for your input. So sorry to read about your loss. I know it was some years ago, but from what you say, it must have been a shock.

I cant speak for all of us, but I know some of us have read Claire Weeks. For me personally, that is when I began to feel a lot less scared. Even so I am determined to be free of them because for me, when they happen, I can feel quite faint with some types I get. Not all of them do that to me, but some cause me to feel as though I am underwater

WWW   IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #116 - Aug 26th, 2010, 4:20am

Jason -
In answer to your questions, I do not want people to know about my anxiety/panic disorder.  Some people at work do know, because I had to take a leave for a couple of months several months ago.  I have been back at work now for two months.  One thing I did find out though was that several other people at work either have panic disorder or some kind of anxiety and are on medication.  So, many people have problems.  In my position, I do feel I need to appear confident and strong in order to do my job.  So, I always try to portray confidence, which I think helps me feel confident.  I know I do my job well, I have been a Director of Nursing for 20 years in various facilities.  I have a lot going for me, so why I have this anxiety is hard to figure out.  Other than, like I said in another post, I do not like to be alone (dependency problem), I need to learn to depend upon myself.  These are things I am learning about myself.  I think I have known this about myself for many years, but I have just tried to ignore it.

IP Logged
Jules
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Lancs, UK
Reply #117 - Aug 26th, 2010, 4:41am

Thanks Typer ! I also listen to motivational CD's, such as Brian Tracy ,as I am falling asleep - these seem to give me more confidence as time goes by.

JotheNurse - I worked in the NHS for several years and know how stressful and frustrating it can be! On the dependency issue, I know exactly what you mean, and I only overcame this after my husband died, - although I am not recommending it as a strategy! The fact that I was alone and had to cope for my son's sake (he was only 10 at the time) actually made me stronger. Now when I feel the panic coming on (which is rare nowadays), I say "hang-on, you coped with THAT, and this is peanuts by comparison".

Strangely, when I recently had a brief relationship with a new man, I found myself slipping back into my old dependent ways and having more anxiety! Since we agreed to part as friends I have become stronger and calmer and more in control again. So I am obviously quite barmy, but at the moment the answer is to be on my own.

..... Roll Eyes

don't know if this helps?!!

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #118 - Aug 26th, 2010, 5:35am

Jules its interesting to read that you can slip back into dependency, even though you have managed you life so well since losing your husband. Is it maybe an etched in role thing?

Jo I too had to seems as if all was okay in my work. In the end I just could not do it. Since stopping I realize the more I needed to be okay, the worse things got if that makes sense. The pressure to be okay caused me to not be!

WWW   IP Logged
Jules
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Lancs, UK
Reply #119 - Aug 26th, 2010, 5:55am

Hi Typer - Yes, It's probably a childhood thing, my mum died when I was 9 and my Dad brought us up, he is brilliant. I suppose I may put men in father-figure roles!

On the work-thing, since I started to work for myself things are a lot easier as I only have to seem strong in short bursts, such as when visiting clients. As I work from home I can now "be myself" most of the time.

I spent many years as a senior engineering manager in industry, but when I worked in the NHS I found it a lot harder on my confidence. Far from being the caring environment one expects, I found it to be very clique-ey and undermining. It is also frustrating, in that things that obviously need changing never happen because of the endless meetings and bureaucracy. Looking back I don't know how I put up with it for 4 years, never-mind 20, Jo!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Send Topic Print