Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Here's a Question for All of You (Read 388458 times)
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Here's a Question for All of You
Reply #90 - Aug 20th, 2010, 10:51pm

RLR,
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is a process of self-discovery that takes time and individual effort.
I believe that we need to do some self-examination of what behaviors and thoughts are associated with the palpitations.
Evidently, there is something we as individuals are either not aware of or overlook.
Although the feelings we experience from the palpitations are similar, what drives them is very different to each of us.
I am very excited to proceed!

Jazzmynn

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #91 - Aug 21st, 2010, 5:13am

You are precisely correct. The process of self-discovery to the extent that it truly becomes beneficial is both time-intensive and challenging, but nevertheless takes place by countless people all the time and with a great deal of success.

It's an endeavor that requires you to proceed beyond habitual practices which have intentionally been established to avoid examination.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #92 - Aug 21st, 2010, 3:07pm

RLR wrote on Aug 19th, 2010, 5:51pm:
Mention was made of "being fearful." You'll recognize this to be a very common theme among most all who visit the site. The focus, however, must extend beyond any specific issue which makes you fearful and more toward why the fear itself seems to be universally present regardless of whether it's your health or other circumstances. This is the direction I would like you to proceed. Give thought to why fear would be produced without associating it with the palpitations or similar focus.

I’m quite enjoying the direction of the thread and am finding it quite a challenge to even come up with responses now. It is becoming increasingly difficult to proceed as others have mentioned but I would rather see it as a challenge and adventure than a barrier. You have talked in the past about avoidance rather than confronting problems so I will not avoid this one and will try to help move us along a little more.

You have asked us to discuss why fear is present in all cases regardless of the causes (health, financial concerns, etc.) of the fear itself. From an objective viewpoint, fear is a defence mechanism of some kind that has developed through evolution to help an organism escape danger. We perceive danger in many ways (my health concerns, for example) but regardless of what causes the danger, whether it be financial concern, health, or a hungry lion, the body responds the same way by producing fear in varying intensities (based on our perception) as a defence mechanism, which in-turn activates the ‘fight-or-flight’ response which is responsible for the physical symptoms we experience. The old saying “All roads lead to Rome” sounds appropriate, would this be accurate?  

The problem being that we do not seem to have the ability to truly realise that we are in fact, not in danger. In another thread we were discussing why even though we know our symptoms are caused by anxiety, we still have them. I made the analogy that you can’t switch off an emotion or feeling simply by recognising it with the example of a gun pointed at your head. Knowing you are scared of the gun doesn’t make the fear stop. You countered with words to the effect of: would you still be scared if you knew the gun was unloaded? Of course the problem is that even though through rational and logical means we are able to determine our symptoms are not harmful, our ‘gut feelings’ tell us otherwise and we are unable to realise it. In other words, even though we can all come here and say “I know they’re harmless” and make ourselves think we believe it, most of us don’t actually truly believe it.

Surely then, the reason that our anxiety is chronically elevated above baseline levels is because of our continual misperception of danger to the point where we are literally in a constant state of low-grade fear. In the early stages of this development we were probably not even aware of what was taking place on a biological level until symptoms began to present themselves. The symptoms themselves also act as a catalyst to the cycle, inducing yet more fear which perpetuates the cycle and when left long enough, the original cause is forgotten and focus is solely on the symptoms themselves. Is this a correct assessment or just a convenient one? I think this may be what has happened to me.  

I can only assume the misperception is based on a lack of knowledge and understanding of the events that are taking place. The instinctive, unconscious responses which govern our thoughts and emotional responses are controlled by our brains automatically (such as fear), but we have a certain degree of control over how we perceive them. For example, we may become desensitised to certain events that once made us fearful because the rational side of our thoughts has been able to make the determination that the danger is only perceived and holds no bearing over our actual safety.

Take the following example: a single tribesman out on the planes of Africa would be terrified if confronted by a 450lb lion. He knows his natural defences are no match for the lions, he knows he can’t outrun it and he knows he has no weapons: he’s going to die. However, that tribesman’s fear would likely diminish if another 10 tribesman came to his aid all wielding spears and flames. Some might even chuckle at the turn of events; the burly ‘king of the jungle’ now fleeing in terror because he had a ‘panic attack’, only his was in response to real danger.

A lot of people use the chicken and the egg analogy when describing their anxiety and symptoms, as if the symptoms came first, which was what caused their anxiety. We don’t seem to be aware of fear that was growing in response to something else, well before the onset of any symptoms, because the symptoms have now taken precedence in our minds. Is this true?

Continued below.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #93 - Aug 21st, 2010, 3:09pm

RLR wrote on Aug 19th, 2010, 5:51pm:
Here we have to examine why the negative thinking is being produced by actively listening to yourself when it occurs. Many times, these negative ruminations represent fragments which don't really represent much, so you have to pause when they occur and do your best to create a plausible context from it. Do you understand what I mean here? In other words, these thoughts are rehearsed so often that you rarely attend to them anymore and they more constitute an abbreviated form strictly necessary to produce the associated emotional response. Do you best to define these ruminations into statements that are clear. Once you can establish a complete form of the ruminations, you will be better able to begin tracking their origins.

I think this one is going to be a little more difficult to try and find out because I haven’t got a clue why we have negative thoughts. They appear at random, but are focused. With me, my negative thoughts always involve deterioration of my health. I don’t have a general negative tone to my thinking, only a negative tone to my thinking in regards to what I have anxiety over: my health. I think it would be similar if I had an anxiety disorder over spiders or snakes; I would constantly fear being bitten or dying from a bite and my negative thoughts would revolve around that.

Sometimes random thoughts will pop in to my mind such as visions of myself in a worse position than the one I’m in now. In hospital, getting another disease, worsening of the one I already have, etc. and I produce detailed ‘fantasies’ where I actively think on scenarios that are entirely non—existent. Sometimes I have detailed visions of myself gripping my chest in terror as I keel over and die from a massive heart attack, or visions of myself slowly dying in hospital of some terrible cancer. Based on what I’ve just written I think it might be fair to assume that these negative thoughts might also have a root in fear, too. RLR said that they are just a side effect of the anxiety, much like the rest of our symptoms. Even though they are a psychological symptom, surely they are a produced by the same mechanisms and should be considered no more or less a side effect as tension induced chest pains, etc..

I think these negative thought patterns stem from the cloud of fear which I have encompassed myself in. I find it interesting that they all revolve around my health and nothing else, which proves they are only a product of anxiety.  I’m going to end this abruptly because I can’t think of much more to say on this. I don’t fully understand your original message in the quote above regarding the negative thoughts and would appreciate some direction here.

Hope we can all continue this as it is becoming increasingly interesting.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
ckgage

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #94 - Aug 21st, 2010, 10:03pm

I really relate to what George said about a low-grade fear that is constant, in the background, wreaking havoc in a true physical sense.  I often become aware of these thought patterns throughout my own day, as well.  

I'm thinking as I write here, so it's not super thought out, but don't you think that the idea of "fear" implies something to be fearful of? What is the worst that can happen........long illness, death, even?  Those things definitely sound bad to me, but what if I need to redefine those worse-case-scenarios and see them differently?  If I reframe them in a real way as something to not be feared but accepted, not in a positive-thinking type of a way that a previous post mentioned, but true acceptance, then there would be nothing to fear, right?  

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #95 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:40am

It seems we can relate to each other on some levels and yet individually our reasons differ. That is, we can relate to the fear and our active (not necessarily over active) imaginations. In my opinion, this is fed by things we hear and see, either on the TV or in passing conversation or even from experience. I think this is called phenomenology.

See http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/

There are better links and books. Although this sites more in the world of philosophy, in the recent past (last 30 years or so) its been included in certain types of therapy, especially person centred therapies. Its interpretation is something like this.

Lets say (fiction) my mother died 3 months ago. I am starting to feel a little better and am invited to a party. Music is playing, there are loud voices every where and I am trying to concentrate on what my friend is talking to me about. But on the other side of the room someone is talking about their mother’s funeral. I am not aware I have heard this because although I have logged it, it is sitting on the edge of my phenomenological field and my own bereavement brings it inside. I suddenly start to feel down and think of my mother and her funeral. Not sure if this makes sense.

Equally, have you noticed since you get these things, you notice more and more people’s comments about someone dying of heart problems. Or suddenly a huge amount of people have AF or VF or it seems to flash on the news and in papers how X dropped dead of a heart condition no-one knew they had. These things have always been around the edge of our conscious awareness and yet its not until we have this fear that we bring them in to everyday awareness and these thoughts invade our lives. They even come in when you are not experiencing palps. They invade more and more until we sit in a bubble of fear. I guess this is why CBT can be so successful because it aims to override the invasive thoughts, replacing them with more positive, uplifting, and healing thoughts. I guess this is why some people swear by affirmations or meditation.

cont...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #96 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:55am

I can see why RLR has us think about this as a collective but as individuals with differing lives and reasons.

We each have come to this point from our different paths.

I have been in a position where I have had to constantly review my psyche, although there is not one person imo ever achieves knowing themselves completely, the point is to make smaller the more unconscious thoughts/actions and enlarge the more conscious awareness. There is something called the Johari Window if anyone wants to think about that more

Despite my hard work on me, life has taken its toll these past few years. To say I have been stressed is an understatement. The only other time I suffered from anxiety and panic was in 1993. I had a medical problem and operation. I lost a  lot of blood afterward and was rushed from one hospital to another. I was in fact post traumatised by the event and for a year suffered severe panic attacks, constantly visualising it happening again and even worse scenarios. (id get cancer like the lady in the bed next to me!) I got better slowly by using visualisation and affirmations and therapy as well as acupuncture by a Buddhist monk for nerves. After a few months I recovered completely. That time I did not have palpitations.

I have to get myself back on that journey I was on back in 1993… need to get motivated. The one thing that I have observed by using this thread is the tension in my body. I am not sure if it will apply any of you but, every hour I check my body tension and feel its tight and tense. I have to take three deep breaths to loosen up.

The original cause of my stress was and is 4 years of house renovations. (Not the original plan). Its ongoing and not a day goes by where I say, vacuum and it stays clean. Every single day, dust and bits of wallpaper, or wall or something everywhere. We are now having to sell up as soon as it is finished due to a financial crisis. So I wont even get to enjoy the fruits of my stress. This has cause depression and utter frustration and anger. So my fear is actually based in those things, in particular anger at persons as well as myself for allowing this to happen to me.  Angry

WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #97 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:23am

Hi Typer,

I can fully relate to the body tension you mention, particularly in the diaphragm area, kind of like holding yourself on a mild level of alert almost constanty.

I see you can relate exactly your cause of anxiety and increased tension to a particular event / time, I thought I had traced mine back too, if you see my previous posts, but RLR seems to want us to not look at cause and effect - so do we need to go even deeper somehow?

Afterall many people have far more troubles than us, but have none of the physical or mental issues that we do.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #98 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:58am

I would guess that it will be different for all of us. If I go much deeper I'll disappear ha ha!

I know someone who had palps after her fathers death. She was given beta blockers to help with the symptoms. After a while she stopped and is fine now. The bereavement for her was the trigger/cause...whatever. But not everyone gets them after a bereavement. She did have another few days of them when she had a virus which made her sick etc. But they went and she recognised that what caused them to return was the fact that she was staying in a friends house when the virus started up. The stress brought them on.

I am sure not everyone has some deep rooted problem that must be uncovered. I do think though that inside us we kind of know that we have these because of where we are psychologically, albeit for very obvious reasons, to the not so obvious.

WWW   IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #99 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 6:14pm

I know from communicating with others that physical tension is something that's common among anxiety sufferers. I have constant muscle tension in my legs, my upper torso and shoulders. I know it is the source of the chest pains I feel intermittently and that it's harmless. I think physical tension is yet another by-product of fear but I don't know if examining it in any details will reveal anything.

Perhaps we should continue to discuss fear and why it is present in all of us regardless of the cause. I don't really have anything to add to my previous post on fear being a defence mechanism and the physical reasons for its presence. Also, it is interesting to note that both you, Jason and Typer, feel that you are already very deep in to this process while I feel as if I haven't even penetrated the surface yet. I feel as if I am only at the start of a long process and that any discoveries I have made up to this point are relatively insignificant.

I am also aware that we all seem to still be continually waiting for the 'next step', initiated by Dr. Rane each time we make our postings. I may be inaccurate here but people seem to be eager to move on without fully exploring what we already have. I still don't see much discussion going on regarding fear and negative thinking, which is where RLR has said he would like this to proceed. Perhaps we should focus more on continuing the discussion on fear and negative thinking for a good time so we fully understand this part of our discoveries, before trying to move on and do something else.

Jason, I read your posting on how you don't really know where to go next in this process of self discovery and that you are having doubts. Obviously I don't know your thoughts on this whole process but I get the impression that you are trying to be too precise and specific. RLR said we need to broaden our thoughts in this regard and try not to relate the discussion to our symptoms, i.e. why fear causes symptoms; rather, we should discuss the fact that the fear is present in all of us and forget about the symptoms it seems to be causing. Essentially the symptoms are irrelevant at this time.

George.

IP Logged
jason

Reply #100 - Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:22am

Yes, I agree with you George, as mentioned in my last post, looking for cause and effect (symptoms) does not seem to be where RLR is directing us here, so we should see that as pretty much irrelevant. That is what the other posts are for.

Fear, I think, is the big deal here and finding out why we had this ingrained fear before the symptoms even started.

Yes I do feel that I have analyzed myself quite thoroughly so far, before I came to this forum too, but as RLR has said, at this stage I am apparently not capable of going deep enough, it's not possible for me to see the true issues yet, I'm not far enough along the journey to see the finish line.

But, my problem is, now I have gone this far, I feel stuck, if I am not capable of seeing the issues at the stage I am at, then how do I progress to the stage where I can? Yes I am in a hurry to get to the answers, I feel I have been stuck with my anxieties for long enough and I want them gone - naturally.

I am however fully prepared to take as long as it takes and I realize that these things can't be rushed - but the frustration is I dont know HOW to proceed any further now, so I feel my progress has stalled.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #101 - Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:57am

Quote:
Also, it is interesting to note that both you, Jason and Typer, feel that you are already very deep in to this process while I feel as if I haven't even penetrated the surface yet.

George forgive me for giving that impression. I have only scratched the surface in this particular scenario.I meant that as a psychotherapist I have been required to have long term therapy as well as supervision, both of which have uncovered many insights. However, this journey never ends and I find myself on another journey here - I am on a path that is foreign to me and  am eager to uncover yet more layers.

On fear. This is my take on it, which may only be valid to me and the few people who I know do think in similar ways as me.

I believe that everyone has fear tucked away - in particular fear of death. Some may feel more at ease by and feel braver toward the fact that they will indeed end, never the less the unknown is scary. Unless one is suicidal, I do feel for the most part, people tend to want to survive..it is in my opinion, an instinct. We look both ways crossing the road etc, even those who may say, I have no fear of death. I could say I do not fear death but my instinct is to stay alive.

So for me, the root of fear is annihilation and although I can say on one level - BUT I DO BELIEVE YOU when you say I am fine....on another level, my instinct kicks in when my major organ does strange things and when I feel as though it will maybe even stop. So my intellectual self is saying, don't be silly its fine, but my instinct self is reacting to survive.

When someone close to us dies, or someone we know, or even reading that a famous person died can bring forward the hidden fear...the one that none of us think about all the time. For most people they just don't think about it. We seem made to defend against such thoughts. But if something brings it so forward - so into our conscious awareness that it almost haunts us, well then we have fear. But we do not associate it to anything in the moment and therefore it feels like this fear came from nowhere.

Not sure if that makes sense. Trying to type rather than say something is quite hard for me.

On a different note in a way - today I saw a long term friend and very experienced colleague. She has integrated mindfulness into her way of working and we discussed my palps as I had said to her that I would like to learn to meditate properly. She went on to tell me that she had cured several things by meditation properly and some of what she described was very like Claire Weeks ideas.

Anyone here read Claire weeks?

WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #102 - Aug 24th, 2010, 12:56am

Yes I have read some Clare Weekes, from the basics I have read about mindfulness it seems that it is all about observing the inner thoughts and realizing that they are not really who we are, they don't define us.

It all seesm to point to the way we perceive everything which leads to a state change within.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #103 - Aug 24th, 2010, 3:09am

Yes it is like that. There are a few types of medication, one is a body scan. My friend says she has been able to rid herself of long term migraines using it.

From the little I know, it seeks to find incongruence and that sometimes, well in fact a lot of the time we do things we really dont want to do, or even be what we dont want to be. There is an idea that the body gives us messages about it.

At the moment its the root I find myself going.

Have been watching this which I found quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #104 - Aug 24th, 2010, 4:06am

Very interesting Typer, I'll take a look at that soon.

I think we as a group are on to something with the Fear thing.

We are creating the fear within ourselves, each of us in a different way, from a different set of life experiences, and from where I am standing I believe I am using it as a kind of defence mechanism, it's keeping me safe in this place I currently am.

Even though the palpitation symptoms are not nice, perhaps the fear of the unknown or fear of failure is potentially a worse place for me specifically to venture at this time? Unresolved conflict???

Perhaps I need to ask myself - why do I prefer it here?
Why do I feel it's safer here?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Send Topic Print