Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Here's a Question for All of You (Read 387303 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Re: Here's a Question for All of You
Reply #60 - Aug 11th, 2010, 4:37pm

I think this too. My example was to highlight how something like anger can somatise in the body and in that person's case, cause severe, physically felt panic. Even I was amazed at how qickly it disappeared.

But each person here will be different and i think maybe that is why RLR feels the answer is within us. Not just the cause, but the cure. I think!!!

I saw my cardiologist today...its late, but I have some interesting ideas to share. Unusually for our NHS docs, he was very interested in what we have learned here and added to that for me personally. He is fantastic and gave me an hour of his time  Shocked...I will try to find time to share

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #61 - Aug 12th, 2010, 12:40am

Brilliant, yes please do share when you have a chance ;O)

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #62 - Aug 13th, 2010, 3:27am

Well it's not really that exciting but, he told me this.

He often sees people with this problem and generally it can last days, weeks and sometimes months. The people, he says where when no physical cause is found and yet they continue for months and even years, tend to have become caught up in that loop you talk of.

I spoke about all I had learned from RLR and he concurred. He said that people whose palpitations continue when nothing is wrong physically (with their heart), they are not on medicines that may cause them, they have no stomach issues, nor do they have any other conditions know to cause them - it is in fact the mind.

He said those people who are willing to try a number of anti anxiety things often succeed in getting rid of them. He suggested medication, yoga and tai chi, as well as good nutrition and exercise.

The good nutrition and exercise is not in fact the cure but rather, giving yourself the positive, nurturing message. he says we should find different ways of thinking about stress.

I explained that some people's just seem to disappear and he said that once one starts to relax and de-stress, palps don't just disappear right away because it takes time for the nervous system to be desensitized and this he says, is where people get caught in the loop.

Those who continue to de-stress and relax, despite ongoing palps find suddenly, one day they disappear and say, but nothing was different. He says no, not in that moment but ongoing, there has been a change of attitude and therefore mind and body once again become more balanced.

He was impressed by RLR and since my last visit had made sure he was up to date.

He is very interested in metaphysics though how he marries that up with science I am unsure. He helps people learn to meditate and has given me his number and is going to teach me how to do deep meditation and to use it to clear out negative, stressful thinking.

WWW   IP Logged
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #63 - Aug 13th, 2010, 7:14am

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that RLR is giving us time to think and to come up with some of our own answers about the palps.
I for one, would like to see them gone forever, but will they ever be?

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #64 - Aug 13th, 2010, 9:24am

You are not wrong Jazzyman. We are sort of soul searching on this thread (I think)

WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #65 - Aug 13th, 2010, 9:28am

Agree, this is certainly the thinking thread  Wink

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #66 - Aug 13th, 2010, 5:55pm

Now you're starting to proceed in the right direction. Look, if we met at the local habadashery and I picked out a hat I thought suitable for each of you, most would not feel that my choices strike the same pleasing chord as it did when I myself fancied them because like all people, tastes are different. Preferences are established based upon very deep-rooted notions that produce a sense of comfort. It is, in a sense, the basis of who we are from the standpoint of expression.

If I create a thread that describes a pathway toward undiscovered country that will release you from the bonds that presently hold you, a good number of people will scurry in anticipation of what they need to know, but this too would constitute my interpretation and not yours. I need for you to understand that this thread is entirely about you and not about me providing you with the all too familiar reassurance encountered under other pretenses.

If you've gravitated to the thread in search of me providing you with some pearl of wisdom, then it is precisely this motive which reveals that if you readily do so, then you know little of this kind of introspection. Do you understand? This is not my choice of hat, it's yours. You need to discover and actively seek to understand your preferences that are holding you in a place of comfort, realizing that this comfort zone can just as easily constitute a negative environment as a positive one.

I am here to help you start the journey down the yellow brick road, so to speak. As I've so often used the analogy of the Wizard of Oz, you need to ultimately draw back the curtain to expose the great and terrible Oz in order to realize that in all truth, the only person behind that curtain is you. It is an exercise in self-discovery of a lifetime of collective interpretations, beliefs and patterns which have culminated into what you contemporarily represent both to yourself and very likely in an alternative context, what you wish to represent to others.

It can sometimes pose the most daunting and anxiety-invoking venture because you must realize that the supression of many of these misinterpreted or conflicting circumstances is what has produced such anixety and apprehension. The sensation that something looms is merely the storehouse of these conflicts coming to bear in varying intensity and at varying intervals. The key is for each of you to better understand yourselves in an entirely different approach to the extent that we both identify, explore and very hopefully resolve the dissonance you supress, subsequently creating an opening for you to absolve yourselves of further influence by the anxiety and stress which presently holds you in its grip.

It's really an arena of those who know versus those who do not, the identity of the underlying entrapments which hold you in this state and by that, I mean that for some, the cause is generally known but avoided. In others, the entire matter seems foreign to them and any precipitating cause is as much a puzzle as the subsequent outcome.

So choose your hat and give attendance because if you wish to find your way out of this forum and back to the shoes you once wore, then this thread constitutes an extremely potent medium through which to ultimately say to yourselves "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #67 - Aug 13th, 2010, 6:48pm

EDIT: I began writing this thread before RLR had made his post (sorry for taking so long to write it!)

Typer wrote on Aug 11th, 2010, 4:37pm:
I think this too. My example was to highlight how something like anger can somatise in the body and in that person's case, cause severe, physically felt panic. Even I was amazed at how qickly it disappeared.

I am also in agreement. As I posted about on the first page I believe the onset of my troubles began with overwhelming amouns of many negative emotions such as anger, bitterness and hatred. I have noticed a serious change in my general emotional tone for well over a year now. I am very quick to anger, generally more angry than I ever have been (like I live in an angry state), very irritable and easy to frustrate, and others. I have become used to it now but before this all began I was very much the opposite. I have never been one to get angry at almost anything and it used to take rather a lot to 'set me off'. I was never irritable at all; nothing bothered me like it does now. Even the cats can really wind me up when they come meowing for food or want attention. Loud noises that interrupt what I am doing (such as sirens drowning out the TV) make me angry, if someone speaks to me inappropriately, jokes at my expense or interrupts me while I am doing anything (like watching TV) I can quite easily become very angry and frustrated. It's like a fire that fuels itself.

I've also become very combative and competitive with regards to everyday events. I have always been a competitive person but this aspect of me seems to be more pronounced to the point where I can't let something go until I've either been proven right or wrong. Also, if I happen to be wrong then that also increases my liklihood of being more angry and bitter over it. While that's not entirely unusual in and of itself, it is for me. I don't 'normally' have a problem with being wrong and would ordinarily have seen it as an opportunity to expand my own knowledge and understanding about things, but since all this has happened I seem to have had a re-wiring of my internal circuitry.

With that in mind, I am again asking myself the question: what's the answer? If negative thinking got me (and apparently, us) in to it (which is still in question), could positive thinking get me out of it? If that is the case, could simply eliminating the bad emotions without introducing positive ones cause a cessation of symptoms? How can this even be achieved?

I am starting to question whether RLR intends to come back to this thread or whether its purpose all along was to keep us in continual discussion with each other to try and discover the cause(s) of our problems. We seem to be going well with the discussion part, but are we discovering anything? I am not sure, I seem to have come to some great realisations about things I was already aware of. For example, the connection between the vast amounts of negativity with regards to my emotional states in the past and present, and the symptoms I currently experience. We don't seem to be collecting our data or making any type of comparative, collective analysis of our responses and reasoning. I think we should start looking at our responses and begin comparing them in a detailed manner to find anything that may be considered a potential anxiety-provoking event or cause.

Although we are all different with respect to our anxiety and its cause(s), anxiety is a medical condition that we can study in detail. We all have the same condition and therefore, we are all likely to have some very similar problems (causes) so maybe we should start analysing our similarities and see if it reveals anything.

If anyone else is interested, post here and we can form some kind of structure by which we can objectively analyse ourselves as a group.

Let's continue the discussion, it's getting more and more interesting for me and I hope we can actually make some progress.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #68 - Aug 13th, 2010, 10:58pm

Well, I think RLR is very clever in how he has had us proceed with this thread.
I understand the hat choosing concept, but the concept of telling us of a country to go to that will abolish the symptoms confuses me.
What if RLR knew that such a place existed, one that we previously knew nothing about?  I for one would go there now.
Would that be the same as his personal perception?

I really think he is helping me to get it.  But, because my whole childhood was in a dysfunctional state, I don't really have a point of reference to go back to.  I only have known anxiety, anticipation of doom and dependence.
This was my state before the palpitations began.
I don't really know of a time that I didn't feel anxious.
How then, can I restore myself to the peaceful time in my life?

I truly believe that our mindset is causing physical symptoms.
How then, do I restore myself to a better state?

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #69 - Aug 14th, 2010, 2:01am

George, Jazzyman

People can, have and do recover from nervous states. George may I ask your age and if you remember when you began to feel less tolerant. And may I ask if you were overly tolerant previously?

When I say overly tolerant, I do not necessarily mean passive, rather what some term "laid back"

Jazzyman, you say your past was dysfunctional - when you say 'restore', do you mean to a state before the dysfunction, or was there no before?

Sorry to seem nosey but some questions can be like keys to unopened doors.

I am certainly back on the road of self discovery. I cant remember where I got off, being as it has been my work for so long. But it shows me how that journey is life long.

Here I sit, palps crashing away thinking....I can beat this and I will because I will learn how to deal with stress and help my mind see things for what they are. Nothing is worth worrying about before my mental and physical health

WWW   IP Logged
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #70 - Aug 14th, 2010, 12:42pm

Typer,
There was really no before anxiety except for the before palpitations.
If I could even get back to before the palpitations, that would be great, but there was great anxiety and dependence before that!

IP Logged
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #71 - Aug 14th, 2010, 12:50pm

Let me clear up my last post.

Before the palpitations began happening, there was anxiety.

In  fact, the palpitations started when I was pregnant with my only child 31 years ago.

I was raised by my parents to be totally dependent and when I got married and moved out of their house, I had a tremendous breakdown and was even hosptalized.

For years now, the palpitations are more frequent.

In fact, my husband and I are leaving to go out of town to see my sister in law who is dying, and I keep having palps.

Also, does the anxiety ever cause anyone to be fatigued, sleepy and irritable?

I am in therapy, but I really want to figure this out with RLR's help.

Will I ever be "normal"?

IP Logged
catgrandma
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Fort Wayne, IN
Reply #72 - Aug 15th, 2010, 12:00pm

I am new to the forum and after reading through all the posts, feel so much more positive about the palps and my anxiety. I have felt anxious since childhood, with extreme medical anxiety. My palps started about 30 years ago. There was a quiet period, and then they returned and became more persistent. They last up to two weeks without a break. I know I have a lot of buried anger-I have been told that before. I just wasn't in a place where I felt comfortable working on it. I am a consummate researcher (a professional genealogist) so of course I have spent way too much time on the internet checking into palps. I would much rather think than feel. It feels very liberating to say I am done researching palps and with your help will work on the anxiety. Does medication really help?

I have reflux problems and take omeprezole. I blame my stomach band (another long story) for the reflux, but could it be the anxiety?

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #73 - Aug 16th, 2010, 9:57am

Interesting that we are all aware that anxiety and/or stress is the culprit. The big question then seems not: How can I get rid of these palps? but: How can I deal better with stress and/or anxiety.

My negative thinking is that life is full of stresses, and it is that idea that has me so negative. To think of having these for the rest of my life is just so depressing

The only reassurance I have is from speaking with a few people who have not had these since they became more able to deal with anxiety. Some people are always going to err on the side of anxiety, but, coping with it and stopping it early before it spirals may stop these palps

WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #74 - Aug 16th, 2010, 10:29am

Yes it's caused by anxiety in 99% of us here. Now I don't know everything, that's for sure, but I think we can sum the cure up as -

"making the rest of our life, the BEST of our life!"

and that is not a quote I made up myself (wish I had), but I think it sums things up very well for us.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2010, 12:20am by jason »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Send Topic Print