Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Here's a Question for All of You (Read 388228 times)
Dodger

No matter where you
go, there you are

Virginia
Re: Here's a Question for All of You
Reply #270 - Jun 01st, 2012, 4:07am

Country,

You make some real valid points and observations. Its amazing what the mind can do for us and to us if we let it. Lately I have not been struggling with the palpitations but with what feels like to me skipped beats. Its this new thing that has me struggling again. However I feel that I am in a better place than I was before. I know that in the past I would be a shell of anxiety and panic thinking that m heart would just stop and not start again. Now I still feel this way but I keep trying to go about my day. I hope that this pattern will strengthen my resolve to continue to live my life and not live in fear of these issues or to be controlled by them.

I hope this make sense and that it helps some one else along the way to.

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #271 - Jun 1st, 2012, 10:20am

Dodger, I am so glad you are staying involved with this process!  I wish more people would join in.

I have been just allowing these feelings to wash over me 100% of the way for the last couple of days...its been very scary and very interesting at the same time.  I let my heart beat whatever way it wants to....when it does I say " do you really think you can control your heart and what it is going to do"  and then I laugh and keep going.  Its a funny question and really comes down to our overall need to control everything!  If we let go of this need to control and the fear, I think we are going to be surprised of how NOT RELAXED we really are on a minute by minute basis!

I read some where about the "Anxiety Trick"  we feel discomfort and are tricking our minds in to thinking it is danger.  When asked why if we know that this is a trick do we continue to do it....the answer was that we have made ourselves believe that because we panicked, ran away, diverted our attention, and all of the other safety behaviors, thoughts and actions that we stopped what ever horrible thing from happening.  BUT WE REALLY ARENT STOPPING ANYTHING FROM HAPPENING BECAUSE NOTHING IS WRONG.

That is what I am working on and trying to prove to myself that absolutely nothing is wrong and saying to myself...do whatever you want, I am not scared anymore.

Its a crazy concept but one I truly believe to be the answer and will keep you posted.

IP Logged
Chris

I Love YaBB 2!

West Sussex, UK
Reply #272 - Jun 1st, 2012, 12:26pm

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with the control aspect.

I've got a slightly clearer head now than when I last posted, so hopefully this post is a little more coherent!

For me, it's all about two things: control and risk.

When I was growing up, everything was fine. My mum was in control and I was young and invincible. I didn't feel any risk. I did things then that I wouldn't dream of doing now, and I didn't think twice about it.

Now, life seems so much more complicated. We're bombarded with sensationalist news stories, adverts, health this, health that. Everything in the world seems to cause disease and distress. People like us are sensative to that sort of thing, and it keeps us in this cycle.

I don't ever recall being like this previously, but with my anxiety I like to be in control of everything. I believe that the reason for this is that my mind believes there is a risk to my life at every turn, and therefore it attempts to protect me at all costs.

This means that I have to be in control of everything, so that nothing can go wrong, and therefore I remain protected.

It's the same from every day life, triple checking before crossing the road, to every twitch or ailment which I seek medical help for immediately, just in case. I try to control everything, to keep myself safe.

The reality is I was safe all along. I just didn't see it, or at least the bit that did see it was bombarded by the anxious bit with "what ifs".

It's the same with risk. I can't handle risk because I believe that I will be the unlucky one. I won't fly because I am out of control, and I believe I will be the unlucky one who crashes.

I hear of a million to one story, and I truly worry that I will be that one. I guess someone has to be that one, why not me? This is the gist of my thinking in these situations.

The trouble is, that whilst the risks are tiny, it is a good question in my mind.

There's no way to say I will be 100% safe for the next 80 odd years. It's impossible. So life will always have an element of risk, and this is what I need to deal with in order to move on with my life.

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #273 - Jun 4th, 2012, 1:08pm

This is a crazy game....I had a very busy weekend with family in town from Africa visiting, my brother in law moved there to do private security.  Any way they are staying with us so we have been non stop busy with get togethers etc and needless to say it has been very stressful.

This whole accepting is a very tricky game....but guess what, even though the horrible anxiety was there, I did everything there was to do.  Had conversations with many people, went to bbq's, golfing etc etc.  I didnt die, I had lots of skipped beats, felt weird, dizzy, distant but I pushed through.

It was extremely difficult and exhausting but I am made it.  I think I have a long road to plow to get myself back to normal but I feel like I am moving forward!

You definitely have to be committed and expect some very bad days but in those days realize you can still do everything, you just may have anxiety.  I know that sucks but if this is the road I must travel, well then buckle up!!!

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #274 - Jun 4th, 2012, 4:08pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in here with my thoughts on the whole thread. You guys seem to be uncovering a few interesting facts about yourselves and I can't really comment on those much. Not sure what to talk about because I haven't had much of a problem for a good time now and I still don't "know" what I've done apart from the few things I talked about in my previous post in here approx. 1 week ago.

So anyway, I saw you guys discussing fear and control and it reminded me of a post I made when the thread was new about what fear is and what it's purpose is, from a naturalistic and evolutionary perspective. I won't go copying & pasting anything, just update my own thoughts and beliefs on what I think is the problem.

I think we established long ago that fear and our control over it is the real problem we've all faced. Fear, in and of itself, is a harmless entity which has great impact over our daily lives as humans. Without fear we are utterly useless and some fears are so engrained in to our being that we don't even recognise them as such. I'd like to try and demonstrate this with a simple example. This thread was started with a discussion on cars and our non-fear of them, so I'll continue with that. You're in the city centre in the midst of the hustle and bustle, cars and buses rushing past, people everywhere and yet, the things you find yourself concerned over are probably not the things most dangerous. I'm sure most of us have no problem finding the pedestrian crossing and walking across the road. Now, move out of the city and step on to the motorway. How's that heart rate going now? How about stepping on to a train line with high-speed trains passing every few minutes? It becomes quite obvious that the fear we have over cars is something variable and changeable based on the experiences we have with them on a daily basis. However, we also have to take in to consideration the perceived fear.

Note how many animals are killed by cars because they lack the fear they require to survive a conflict with one. Animals who survive a near fatal incident are more likely to survive the next one because their brains have had a chance to adapt and learn. They've built new neural pathways which fire next time they see an oncoming collision; in essence, their brains have taught them that in order to survive, they must run away when they see a chunk of metal hurtling at them at 60mp/h. This is fear.

My opinion, is that we have all experienced something in our lives which we believed to be hazardous and dangerous to our health based on our intuitive understanding of said events. Therein lies the flaw in all of our thinking in that many of the things we see as a threat are exactly the opposite: benign. Because our brain doesn't know the difference between a perceived threat and a real one, those same neural connections are built and every time we encounter the problem, they fire; resulting in immediate fear and even panic. Our brains are saying "Stay away!", "Run!", "Fight!", "Get outta here!", etc., every time we encounter the problem.

I'm no neurologist or neuroscientist, but I'm quite certain the brain has the capacity to unlearn things. Neural connections that are not used serve no purpose, are a waste of energy, so are destroyed in time. Those same neural connections are adversely strenghtened each time they're used, so constant fear only makes the problem worse in the long run because more connections are made, allowing for even greater capacity for incapacitating fear to take its hold.

Surely then the solution to our woes is simple: simply foget all that troubles us. Let our brains recover; this is no quick process, no overnight healing can be done. It's going to take time but we all have the capacity to move on, don't we?

Of course, simply forgetting is easier said than done. However, I think the statements I've presented here today are factual and correct. The anxiety we've all suffered is a learnt behaviour based on incorrect perceptions of the world which we imagined to be dangerous. Education surely does us great justice when we realise that simply understanding what is happening to us allows us to take one step away from unreasonable fear, towards reasonable conclusions; these heart palpitations are simply a matter of physics and not pathology. I understand that better than I ever have done. It is not a case of believing, it's a case of knowing. Know that you are healthy, don't simply try convincing yourself so.

RLR has done us a tremendous service by offering his help and advice. I recommend reading his words more carefully and with a little more shrewdness and not acting impulsively or instinctively over what he tells us.

Thanks for reading my post to you all,

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #275 - Jun 5th, 2012, 9:12am

hi bigcountry..

I read that you keep having a lot of palpitations and skipped heart beats.
I think you really trying to ignore your symptoms. And try to fight the anxiety beast.

I think the last poster hit also a homerun when he said that you have to KNOW its alright.
In my opinion , you sometimes seem to fight the anxiety and symptoms telling yourself its ok. I admire this, but it also gives a lot of pressure in your system i quess, cause you try to convice yourself. In my opinion this could be also stressful .
But if it works for you.. keep doing this. At least your doing something. I sometimes notice that I decrease activities when having palpitations and always seem to respond to it..like OOOpps..

Like I wrote in my thread I had a huge attack of Chronic hyperventilation.. heartrate rapid, trembling shaking, pressure on chest and so on.. my father..almost 70 rushed me to the ER but I kept telling him... its probably CHV .. I didnt panic anymore from the senations but felt really bad.

I was right..it was CHV, but now i had a lot of needles and pins and tingling feeling in my feet and toes and hand fingers for over a week and it went worse .. I still have them now
When i was in the ER I never thought anything bad of my heart and shaking and so on.. but I freaked about the painful sensations and tingling needles and pins feeling of my feet toes hand arm..
I'm still freaked out cause ER dindt know these symptoms are due to my chv or it might be polyneuropathy

you know why?  cause that was and is NEW.  I never had this so clearly although i have chronic hyperventilation, which is not the same as acute hyperventilation. Even the ER dindt know for sure why i have this..and then my mind start to race..what is this.. ?  is this another symptom of an underlying illness. another symptom along with all my other symptoms like the skipped heart beats, spasms , and so on.

I notice I can beat my fear of dying and heart problems and illness when I start to understand due to explanation, tests and simply hear from people like RLR that it cannot be dangerous cause..
but when something new hits me or adds on to my symptom list the thinking and doubts start again.

Sometimes I do believe that its all anxiety and so on..but then just when i start to believe it.. BANG a new problem..
So i quess its a thin line..

keep it up my friend

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #276 - Jun 5th, 2012, 11:23am

Richie...I completely agree with you and understand that a lot of the times I am fighting my symptoms...this is what I am working hard on. For 7 years I have been scared to death, built horrible habits, thought processes etc so it is very hard to kick over night!  What I am working on is trying to interrupt all of these things as they happen and retrain my response and it is not easy at all.  

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do....my anxiety levels are way up because I am stepping WAY out of my comfort zone and in to an area where I am very unfamiliar with.  But I am committed to changing my life and getting rid of this horrible anxiety forever.  The skipped beats can stay if they would like but my primary concern is the anxiety that they cause me!!!  I dont want to live like this anymore and I wish more people on this forum would get involved so that once and for all we can all over come this together.  

Yes RLR said we all have different areas that we need to work on but I believe the base of our problems are the same.

I appreciate all of the people that are involved and RLR for the information he provides.....will I get better???  I hope so....am I going about it the right way???  I am not sure but the way I have been trying to overcome this hasnt worked so I believe in RLR and he has stated numerous times what has gotten us here and what we need to do to get our lives back so that is what I am trying to do.

Thanks

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #277 - Jun 5th, 2012, 1:36pm

We've all built up walls in our minds that shield the light from us. Metaphorically, these walls are nothing but walls built from fear to help us ignore and avoid the situations we feel anxious in.

Again, my opinion is not try to knock these walls down or try to climb over them; but simply walk through them, for they don't really exist.

I've had many, many occasions where I have phoned 999, got driven to hospital in an ambulence simply because my heart rate had reached the point I believed to be dangerous to my health. RLR quite obviously pointed out that I was constantly concerned of a resting rate of approx 90-100, yet was also overly worried that I couldn't reach a rate of 160+ while I was taking low-dose beta blockers.

We have operational capacities which change in any given situation; on the one hand I was comfortable with a resting rate of 60-70 and no more, but was equally comfortable with an exercising rate of 160. Should that 160 have been while resting, I'd have been straight up the hostpital in an ambulence.

My opinion is that the solution to our shared concerns does not lie in an active battle against ourselves, one which we can never win; but a passive one which has a different path for each and every one of us. One does not kill a virus by feeding it that which it lives on, likewise you don't kill fear by feeding it with more fear. Fuelling the fire has never been a good method of extinguishing it.

I'd also like to point out that I don't see any of us finding the answer we seek in any post here on the forums. For a while I was under the impression that Dr. Rane would eventually be along with the solution and we'd have that "Oh, yeah!" moment. I'm sorry, but that moment is not coming... not for any of us. The answers lie within us and only there can we find them. I found that as I have become much better with my concerns, I've naturally come right away from the forums because I didn't feel the constant urge to come on and discuss health problems or ask questions, or check my posts to Dr. Rane. RLR himself has commented that he once saw a quietening of the forums as a good sign and not a bad one; because it must've meant less people were suffering.

Strength be with you all,

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #278 - Jun 11th, 2012, 9:45am

I seem to have put a downer on this post. Sorry, guys; I never meant that we should stop posting because we're not finding/not going to find the answers. I simply meant that I believe the solution is something that no other person is going to be able to reveal to us and we will eventually all find our own answers.

I for one would like to see this thread very much alive. Any thoughts on my posting above?

Keep the discussion open!

George.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012, 12:27pm by George »  

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #279 - Jun 11th, 2012, 11:43am

On the 15th of May 4335 people had viewed this post...in less than a month that number is now up to 7185 views......INCREDIBLE....imagine if all of you were able to take some time and participate in this forum....

I have tried to think about why this forum has so little participation??? RLR says he knows....I really dont know.  All of us are suffering on a constant basis and this thread is maybe the closest thing we will ever have to figuring it out.  I am trying to figure it out.....things are difficult in this process but I am trying new things to see if they are working.  I have been suffering for 7 years daily.  I have a wonderful wife and 2 beautiful daughters ages 6 and 4 with a baby boy on the way and I struggle daily with skipped beats and anxiety!

I am a shell of the man I used to be.  Fear dominates every second of the day.  Whats silly is that NOTHING has ever happened to me...I have never fainted, never had a heart attack or problem with my heart(other than the skipped beats) etc etc YET EVERYDAY I AM SCARED????  I dont know why.

I would definitely like some more direction and input by RLR but he is not going to do that....so we as a collective group should at least attempt to overcome this hell.

I hope we can because I am not going to give up and I dream about the day I will never need this forum again!!!

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #280 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:02pm

RLR...quite a few people over this thread have mention breathing, hyperventilation etc

How much does stress and breathing contribute to our anxiety/skipped beats?

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #281 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:20pm

bigcountry wrote on Jun 11th, 2012, 1:02pm:
RLR...quite a few people over this thread have mention breathing, hyperventilation etc

How much does stress and breathing contribute to our anxiety/skipped beats?

I'm not going to say any of this with the conviction of Dr. Rane, but hyperventilation is a symptom of anxiety, not the other way around. Breathing faster is part of the fight or flight response that occurs when the brain senses danger. Heart rate increases, breathing quickens, blood is pumped to the major muscles and your body rapidly prepares to fight the danger or run away from it. Adrenaline is a powerful chemical which performs a lot of important tasks during the anxious process. It will cause the liver to metabolise glucose to give you the energy you need to run or fight and I believe there is a theory which argues that adrenaline causes the muscles to use a higher percentage of their fibers, increasing the strength a person can have. I don't know whether or not this is true though, just thought I'd throw that in.

Problem is, there is no danger with anxiety... it's all imagined.

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #282 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:23pm

George, that makes sense....I definitely have been focusing on my breathing and when I am more stressed it is definitely erratic.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #283 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:29pm

I think stress of any kind will cause the body to produce more adrenaline because it helps you cope in the short-term. Part of the problem is that long-term stress or emotional upset will cause chronic elevation of your adrenaline, producing the symptoms complained about regularely on the forums such as faster heart rates and hyperventilating. I believe there's also an increased potential for palpitations to occur because part of the adrenal response is a change in the nervous system. RLR uses the analogy of a gas and brake pedal. On the one side you have the sympathetic nervous system (gas pedal) and on the other you have the para-sympathetic nervous system (brake pedal). Increased activity in the sympathetic can induce palpitations. I don't know the exact reason why, but it has something to do with there being more nerual activity and thus, more potential for those extra impulses to effect the heart.

As ever, not a medical opinion or perspective, just my opinions.

*EDIT*

I've been thinking on this for a short while and I just wanted to add in that part of the anxious process is an increased awareness and perception of the environment. One thing that I always noticed was how jumpy I became when anxious; but couldn't see it for what it was. You know? A door slamming downstairs, a car horn, even the sudden picture changes on the television would cause me to jump suddenly. I now realise that my jumpy, timid demeanor was all just adrenaline in the works. Your pupils become dilated for one, letting in more light and allowing for a more powerful sense of sight which is able to detect much more movement. I don't know if other senses are effected likewise, but I do know that the reason for this change is clear: once again, fear... it's all about survival. Those who become more aware of the dangers surrounding them are going to survive better.

I don't know if I'm blabbing on too much about this but I think a more scientific and factual approach is the way forwards. Understanding how & why these symptoms occur seems to me to be a simpler way forwards than just trying to find a way around our problems.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #284 - Jun 11th, 2012, 11:10pm

What I know about hyperventilation ..
you have two kinds of hyperventilating.  the acute type . thats what people think of hearing the word hyperventilation. rapid breathing , paper bag thing.
You also have CHRONIC hyperventilation which is much more subtle. but you have chronic symptoms. Over the last 4 years ive been two timed diagnosed due to an Astrup ( bloodgass) that I have bloodgasses that are common in people having chronic hyperventilation.
In the literature there is much disagree if chronic hyperventilation is a psychological anxiety problem or in fact an illness.
In Europe there are some countries that call chronic hyperventilation spasmofilie..which is treated as a disease.
A lot of these people due tend to have some deficits in some vitamin bloodtests or magnesium levels and so on. Thyroid is a factor.

I'm not convinced that due to anxiety I got chronich hyperventilation. Its the other way around in my case I quess. I used to jog 25 miles a week with no problem. never anxious or scared . jogging produces sometimes or even often a breathing like you hyperventilate. One day I got my symptoms out of nowhere. rapid heartbeat, pain  chest.. dizzy, skipped heart beats and from that moment on anxiety kicked in.

Like I told in my thread about my symptoms i grew more and more symptoms over 4,5 years with now the last one. skin burning sensation over my body. What I learn more and more that too many symptoms are addressed to anxiety.  I';m gonna say it loud here.. I dont think thats entirely fair and true. offcourse anxiety aggrevates or plays a role in symptoms, but I doubt its the only factor. And even when it is or was ..havin g anxiety for years will do his bodily work. What i mean by that. It cant be normal and healthy for a body to be in constant state of arousal, It will do physical damage or disbalance.
this disbalance should be addreessed too not only the anxiety.

thats my opinion after years of having symptoms

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Send Topic Print